This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

The school year is coming to a close, for the final time for many. Then, the dreaded question: what’s next? Every senior hears this question about a million times from April to August, never in greater abundance than at The Grad Party, which in my opinion, has not enough Pomp and far too much Circumstance.

I love planning. I love hosting. I love parties. What I hate more than anything is Grad Parties. Don’t get me wrong, I love attending other peoples’ and celebrating those I love, but when it comes to my own, I’d almost rather go back to freshman year to avoid it. The cringe-inducing combination of mixing friend groups and being the center of attention makes me so grateful that as a 2020 grad I got to skip the whole ordeal. Current and future graduates are not so lucky, so I am here to help plan the smoothest, most low-key event that will please both you and your mom, because let’s face it, that’s who the party is really for.

Theme

Most people choose one of three themes for their party: themselves, graduation, themselves graduating. There is the occasional “next-step” themed party, which, in my opinion is the best of all, and very easy to incorporate other elements.

For those who plan to go abroad after graduation, a travel-motif would be well suited; for those going to dental hygienist school, a tooth-themed party would do fine; for those going to grad-school, the future universities colors make for an easy set-up.

If you are unsure of what’s next and would rather die than have a whole party centered around your impeding existentialism, skip this, and stick with the traditional “graduation” theme.

For those who don’t mind the large gathering but dread being the center of attention, consider joint-hosting a grad party with your closest friend(s). It is likely you have many invitees in common, and this would be the perfect occasion to make the theme of your party *you* without needing it to be all about *you*.

Food

You will likely attend many grad parties in one season, and after the second one people usually tire of hamburgers and hotdogs. While your dad may love standing around the grill all afternoon, if it’s in your budget, you may want to suggest a catered event instead. For surprisingly low prices, you can even bring a food truck right to your backyard and avoid the cooking process all together.

Another very trendy option is bars – of literally everything. If you can serve something in abundance on a table where guests get to dress it themselves – do it. Popular options include taco bars and pizza bars, but seriously nearly anything can be served in this way. If you’re into breakfast foods, consider a waffle bar; if you like pretzels, serve soft pretzels and a wide assortment of dips; if you’re a soup-lover, offer different pots. You can offer food that is in alignment with your theme, like a cheese board for those who have just passed a Boards Exam or apple-inclusive foods for future teachers, or simply serve your favorite foods. This is, after all, your party.

Desserts can be done in a similar way, but sometimes even easier. A large batch of cupcakes decorated with the colors of your grad school are themes, adorable, and so simple. If cupcakes aren’t your thing, opt for cookies, ice cream, brownies, or literally anything else. Again, theme can be present or not. For those who have just graduated medical school, a donut-wall with a sign that says “Doctor Has a Nice RING to It” may be a fun addition, or those moving into environmental sciences can serve the fan favorite dirt cup. Whatever you choose, make sure you’re willing to eat them for the next four weeks, because I can guarantee leftovers.

Most people don’t expect to be served a full meal at these kinds of events anyway, they are usually open-house-style to allow for people to come and go. If this sounds like your event, skip the main course all together and go for drinks, snacks, and desserts.

Drinks

Non-Themed Grad Parties are a great place to try new fruity summer beverages that can be made in large batches to be put in cute pitchers, like punches, lemonades, or cocktails.

Themed parties are a little more difficult, but once you’ve settled on your theme choices may become obvious. For example, those going abroad may choose to serve a local drink from the country they will be visiting.

Be sure to stock up on the classics, too; fill up your coolers with all the ice water, soda, and cheap beer your guests could want.      

Activities

As previously mentioned, most people don’t stick around for long enough to participate in organized activities. Many easy options are some form of photo booth, a “match that age” game, or some other non-time restrictive engagement. If applicable, consider including a guessing element for a reveal, whether it be for a deployment assignment, grad school decision, or otherwise; people who want to be involved in your life will love getting to play along.

Although tedious, people really do love slideshows, so if you feel up for it, consider gathering and presenting photos on a loop to play for guests as they mill about. You can restrict this to a certain timeframe if you want, like just your college years, or just the time spent in your certification program.

The Party

Spend your time talking to the guests, especially those who you don’t see very often or who made a special trip to visit you. It may seem like a bore or pointless now, but a few years down the line, you’ll regret spending all your time on a couch with the same five people you see every day.

I hope this has helped those who have been strategically avoiding the topic, and that even the shyest of graduates gets to celebrate themselves this June. Congratulations, and good luck!

A future wedding planner advocating for women, the planet, and the Oxford Comma.