This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Gone are the days of just traditional pumpkin carving with the scary jack-o-lantern faces. Many people are thinking outside of the box and getting creative with a pumpkin. It’s not just carving, it’s a complete work of art for your doorstep. Here are a few ideas that steer away from the ordinary. 

1. Melted crayons: If you look around your local pumpkin patch you might see some white pumpkins. These are perfect for gluing an array of brightly colored crayons around the base of the stem so that you can use a hairdryer and melt the crayon over the top. It gives it a dripping effect.  
  2. Cookie cutters: Honestly, I’m mad at myself for not thinking of this hack. Take any metal cookie cutters that you might have lying around your kitchen and a rubber mallet and hammer the cookie cutter into the pumpkin to create a beautiful pattern all around!  
  3. Painting: Pumpkin painting is becoming more popular than ever from painting your favorite Disney character’s face to a spooky pattern. The possibilities are endless when it comes to painting.  
  4. Decoupage: Remember decoupage? It made everything so sleek and shiny after you put your favorite paper or photos down on a surface with that goop. I saw a pumpkin that was completely decoupaged with family photos and it was such a neat idea! Great for a centerpiece at your table.  
  5. Googly-eyed: As kids, googly eyes were a staple crafting item. Plus, they have creepy googly eyes for Halloween. Make a one or 30-eyed monster to make for your porch.  
  6. Mummified: Take cheesecloth to create the head of a mummy and black construction paper for the eyes to make it look like he is rising from the dead.  
  7. Decals: For all you Cricut lovers out there, create a simple fall phrase or even spooky stickers. It is an easy way to dress up your pumpkin in a matter of minutes.  
  8. Tangled in a web: Take cotton kitchen twine and some of those disgusting plastic spiders. Make your pumpkin look like it’s been intertwined in a web full of spiders!  
  9. Drilling: Take your standard power drill and create a pattern designed with just holes. Don’t knock it till you try it, there are some cool ones out there!  
  10. A prickly friend: I always thought porcupines were the cutest, sharpest things around. A cute way to create those little guys is tipping your pumpkin out so the stem faces towards you and stick a bunch of tiny toothpicks all over the pumpkin to make it look like its body. Don’t forget to give him some eyes. 

I hope this small list gets your mind running on all the creative ideas you can do with just one pumpkin. Get yourself into the Halloween and creative spirit!  

My name is Katelyn Richardson. I am 29 years old. I am currently attending Central Washington University studying for my Master's in food and sciences to become a nutritionist and later a diabetes educator for kids. I've been personally battling type 1 diabetes since I was six years old. I love being outside, vintage shopping, watching movies, and going to stock car races! I love being a Her Campus Contributor because it gives me a platform to talk about current issues, topics I'm passionate about & real-life relatable experiences.