This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Alright, after my first experience at Coachella Music Festival, I absolutely understand why it’s one of the most popular festivals in the country. I had one of the best weekends of my life while in the desert. It for sure wasn’t the last time I will attend. Catch me there next year because it’s seriously amazing!

First, the MUSIC.

I’ve been to plenty of music festivals. I’ve always noticed at every festival I’ve been to that artists don’t really go all out during their sets. They sing/rap over background tracks and their stage theatrics are lacking. This is not the case at Coachella. I honestly thought that every artist I saw was giving their all and genuinely excited to be there. Over the course of the weekend, I saw Maggie Rogers, YG, Ariana Grande, Dvsn, SALES, Chvrches, Kacey Musgraves, Rufus Du Sol, Childish Gambino, Tame Impala, Weezer, J Balvin, Kid Cudi, Blood Orange, Anderson Paak., Gesaffelstein, SOBxRBE, and Lizzo. My favorites were Maggie Rogers, YG, and Ariana Grande by far. Their energy and sets were AMAZING. Not to mention that Kid Cudi brought out Kanye and Ariana brought Justin. I’m a changed woman after seeing all of them live. I think there’s also something to be said for going weekend two instead of weekend one. I’ve always heard that you should go weekend one if you want to see the celebrities. But if you want to go for the music then you should go to weekend two. I can’t tell you how many artists told us during their set how relaxed and happier they were weekend two compared to weekend one. They’re able to work out all their nervous bugs and technical sound issues during weekend one (Ariana and Nikki for example). Come weekend two, they have those issues solved and are feeling way more comfortable on such big stages. In my opinion, weekend two all the way. 

Second, the FOOD

I was honestly impressed with all the food options at the festival. I’m pretty sure I got Shake Shack at least 6 times over the course of the weekend. Of course, the food is pretty expensive so I tried to eat as much as I could before heading to the polo grounds. Also, drinks. This wasn’t a priority for me while at the festival, however, it’s basically impossible to get drunk while there. You are only allowed to drink in the beer gardens and you can’t take any alcohol outside of the fences. The lines are so long in the beer garden that it takes almost 20 mins to get through. So by the time you have your next beer, your buzz has already worn off. But honestly, I think I preferred this. It makes your experience more pleasant because there isn’t belligerent drunk people running around starting fights or puking everywhere. I mean, there are a few, but it definitely decreases the chances. 

Finally, the glorious weather.

It’s hot people. It’s the freakin’ desert. But oh my god does it feel good. I wore shorts every day and I don’t think I would’ve survived if I wore anything else. I brought sunscreen in every day and reapplied at least two times. Sunglasses are a must to be able to see the artist well during day sets. But I also learned they are a must at night due to the DUST! The worst dust I have ever experienced. Remember in my last article when I talked about the dust masks? Yep, I learned first hand. Saturday night was the worst. Everyone was walking around with their dust masks and sunglasses on because there was a wind warning and dust storm. You could see the dust in the air. Poor Maggie Rogers coughed in the middle of singing because the dust was so bad. My point, the dust is no joke. But you will survive. Even though it’s so hot during the day, it cools down fast at night. Bringing a sweater in for when after the sun goes down is a huge pro tip. 

Some other final pro tips – ride bikes!!! Ubers are a literal nightmare. You wait at least an hour to get one and not to mention the surcharges. The first night we took a taxi home and even the taxi driver told us it would be better to ride bikes. That same night it took us an hour and a half to get home, which mind you home was only 3 miles away (!!!). The next two nights we got smart and took our bikes. From bike rack to the garage door it took exactly 30 mins. Ride bikes if you go! Also, bandanas and allergy medicine. The wind kicks up so many allergens in the air that if you aren’t prepared, it might ruin your experience. I took allergy medicine every day and was so thankful for my bandana. 

If you ever get the chance, check out Coachella. I saw all ages and demographics there. In my opinion, that’s the best part of music festivals. All different people coming together seeking the same experience of live music and meeting new people. 

Senior at Central Washington Univ. majoring in Psychology. Trying to spread kindness and joy in everything I do.