Wellness > Mental Health

My Experience with Anxiety and Other Coping Mechanisms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Growing up, I dealt with anxiety! From experiencing bouts of anxiety when going out in public to having to encounter those who bullied me in school, I constantly felt like I was in a hole I could not dig myself out of. 

When going out into public spaces, I lived in fear that I would run into one of my classmates and I would be ridiculed. Because of my anxiety, I often refused to venture outside of my comfort zone since I felt like something bad would happen if I were to.

Over time I got better at coping with my anxiety. I became more involved in extracurriculars at school. I took up cross country and track and became involved in my high school’s musical production. Through these extracurricular activities, I got to meet new people and I became more self-confident and outgoing when it came to interacting with others and trying new things.

As I improved with coping with my anxiety, I learned that there is a myriad of ways in which people deal with feelings or thoughts of anxiety. From writing down your thoughts in a journal to making time for exercise, there is always an outlet that works for those who experience anxiety.

1. Reflection

What often works for me when I am experiencing anxiety is reflecting on why I am so anxious in the first place. For example, if I hear a hurtful comment that I believe was directed at me, I will stop and think about whether it was directed at me or someone else. I will consider the source and why someone would say that to me. 

If the source was someone who I don’t know, I will decide that that comment was not directed at me, and I will move on from there. I have found that reflecting on my anxiety helps me to become less anxious about the small things in life and my coping skills improve each time I take the time to reflect on my anxiety.

2. Journaling

If you enjoy writing and experience anxiety, then journaling is for you! Journaling allows you to let out your thoughts and feelings on paper. With journaling, you can take some time for yourself and reflect on what is currently making you anxious in life and how you are coping with it.

3. Just Breathe

Outdoors Taking A Deep Breath
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus

Sometimes taking the time out of your day to breathe when you are experiencing anxiety is beneficial for your mental health and well being. When you are faced with an anxiety-inducing situation it is suggested that you find control by “sitting down and taking a few breaths” and you may choose to hold your breath for a few seconds at a time before slowly releasing it. By doing this, you can “restore a sense of personal balance and bring [yourself] back to the present.” 

If you are experiencing anxiety and find that it is getting worse, don’t hesitate in seeking treatment or therapy for your anxiety. Remember, you are not alone in your journey and there is no shame in receiving support for anxiety. You are strong and amazing, never give up!

XOXO Her Campus

Hi there! I am third-year student at CWU majoring in psychology with a minor in theatre arts. In my spare time, I enjoy baking, reading, singing, and exercising.