Anna Schultz-Girl Looking Through Closet
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

How My New Job Forced Me to Find My True Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

For the last six and a half years, I’ve had the same uniform at work: black pants, a black shirt and a black apron. No logos, patterns or layers. Hair must be pulled back away from your face. I understand the need for a clean, consistent dress code in a restaurant, but it gets old fast.

Three weeks ago, I was eager to accept a new position for a marketing firm on campus. I knew this job would shake up my routine and help me gain valuable experience in the industry. What I didn’t know: what to wear!

In an era where loungewear is wildly popular because everyone has been working or taking classes from home, I’ve only purchased cozy sweatpants and matching crewnecks for over a year. Suddenly, I had to find a professional wardrobe, and I had to find it fast. Time to channel my inner Rachel Green.

My boyfriend and I began my shopping journey at Bellevue Square Mall, and we got lost several times. In the maze of stores and designer labels, I realized that I forgot how to shop. What stores do I like? What style of jeans do I wear? Why are all the things I want so expensive? (Minus the $1,300 cardigan I accidentally came across, that was horrific). Shopping has been especially hard for me ever since I did a research project on the fast fashion industry in high school. I feel strong guilt when purchasing garments that are made in developing countries from brands notorious for violating human and environmental rights. Because of this, I was hoping to find comfortable, warm and neutral-toned basics that will last me for several years to come.

I had a few successful finds, but I found myself being frustrated with some of the current trends. I would pick up a sweater because I was drawn to the color and material, but then I would discover that it was cropped. Every pair of jeans was wildly distressed. Don’t get me wrong, I like these styles, but it was a slightly frustrating experience searching for clothing appropriate for an office setting. Where do people buy business casual garments?

The trip was still somewhat successful since I went home with an adorable pair of boots, two soft sweaters and two pairs of jeans. However, one pair of jeans has a tiny rip that I’m nervous to wear to work. So, I hardly went home with two outfits to span across a five-day workweek. I’m good, but I’m not THAT good. My shopping continues online, which everyone knows can be challenging to do without a few returns.

Once I started vigorously searching the web for its endless clothing possibilities, I remembered how much I enjoy fashion. I’ve always had an appreciation for clothes, but I’ve lost sight of that passion since the pandemic. It’s been a blast dressing up and styling my hair every day. My fashion board on Pinterest is constantly being updated. My budget still has room for improvement before I can have my dream closet, but I love to mix and match my current garments to see how I can give an item life in different ways. I just need the Mis-Match app Cher uses on Clueless.

As I continue in my search for fashionable office clothing, I’ve learned what I truly like versus what I like but won’t actually wear. Just because I think something is cute, doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s my true style. I will continue to curse the items that are beyond cute but aren’t right for an office; I have to have self-control. I also will never understand why the horrific cardigan cost more than my rent. But what I do know is that I’m happy to have rediscovered a passion of mine that was forgotten about during life-changing times. Time to go back to shopping!

Kyla is a senior at Central Washington University double majoring in Marketing Management and Leadership and Management with a minor in Digital Marketing. She enjoys reading, cooking, and playing with her dogs.