Wellness

How Discovering Spirituality Has Helped Me Heal and Thrive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

I was going through a lot these past few months. My first breakup, moving, online school, and the sudden realization that I didn’t know much about how to be independent. I have never been religious⁠⁠—I’ve just never connected with it⁠—but I craved the support and peace people feel from believing in a God. When I stumbled across a TikTok talking about spirituality, I finally felt that peace I’ve been looking for. I am still researching and learning new things every day about spirituality, but here are a few things that have especially helped me. Disclaimer: I am a very new practitioner! 

Meditation

Unsplash

Before discovering spirituality for myself, I always thought that meditation would be boring and a waste of time. I mean, who has time to sit and not think about anything for twenty minutes when you’ve got assignments to work on? But that is precisely the point of meditation. We as humans are so busy with work, school, and relationships that we don’t take time to be here in the present moment. Putting so much energy into future things that you can’t control and parts of the past that replay in your mind leaves little to no energy left for creativity and appreciation for the present moment. Meditation is a way to quiet your mind and focus on just being here. 

I started with guided meditations on YouTube to keep my thoughts on track. Being in that mind space gives such a calming, floaty feeling that lets you escape the thoughts that plague your mind on a daily basis. As I’ve worked on meditation, I have even done meditation on my own. I will put on my noise-canceling headphones and listen to forest rain sounds, imagining I am in a cozy blanket burrito sitting on a cabin porch and watching the rainfall. In this safe space sometimes I will imagine writing down my limiting beliefs on a piece of paper and burning them to signify that they will not hold me back anymore. Sometimes I will just sit and enjoy the quiet. I would recommend everyone to try meditation, and if you can, making it a routine. You don’t need to be spiritual to appreciate the present moment.

Crystals

crystals on table
Photo by Sarah Brown from Unsplash
The first crystal I bought was rose quartz wrapped in wire and on a chain as a necklace. I originally bought it because I thought it would look pretty, and it does, but I’m learning more about crystals and their beneficial properties. Natural crystals emit powerful energy and have high vibrations. Lower vibrations are more negative and higher are positive. Each crystal has different properties that can help raise your vibrations. For example, I have a raw citrine crystal which promotes the release of fears and sabotaging tendencies. I have been using this crystal a lot lately since the start of the quarter because of my horrible procrastination. It also promotes creativity. I would recommend searching up the properties of different crystals to see what types can help you! There are a ton of resources on the internet. 

Astrology 

Zodiac signs on building
Photo by Josh Rangel on Unsplash

I used to look up my horoscope from time to time, not really paying much attention to it. But my beliefs have shifted away from being centered on myself. I believe that the alignment of stars, planets, and moons have an effect on who we are as people. If the moon can influence ocean tides, who is to say it doesn’t give us energy? By figuring out my astrological chart and paying attention to the phases of the moon along with the alignment of planets, I can start to understand why I feel certain ways and why I am the way that I am. Astrology is a very complex subject that I have just begun to dip into and I’m excited to learn more about it!

Spirit Guides & Angel Numbers

Photo by ? ? on Unsplash

In spirituality, every person has guides that are there to help you along your journey in life. They manifest in different forms, and you have the ability to speak to them if you wish. These guides are there to support you. Have you ever had to make a decision about something, then you go to sleep and your dream plays out a scene where you make that decision? That may be your spirit guide showing you a sign.

I’ve noticed as I have been getting more into spirituality that I am becoming aware of more signs. I’ve asked my spirit guides for signs to help guide me in certain situations. I once asked my spirit guides to show me green hair and a hippo if I was on the right path, then within two days, I saw a TikTok of a girl with green hair, and the show I was watching showed a hippo. Some people may believe it is a coincidence, but I can feel that my spirit guides are watching out for me. 

These signs can also manifest through angel numbers. If you find yourself seeing repeated numbers often, try looking up the meaning of the numbers. When I started my journey I hardly saw repeated numbers, but lately, I have been seeing 1111 and 111 incredibly often. This can be a sign that whatever I am manifesting in my life is coming to me. 

Manifestation 

Photo by Josh Rangel on Unsplash
The Law of Attraction states that whatever you put out in the universe will come back to you. This means that any positive energy you emit will come back to you, as well as negative energy. Manifestation is related to this⁠—if you believe in something, it will manifest in your reality. Make sure that what you manifest is something you really want, something that will be good for you, that it feels right, and that it won’t hurt others.

To manifest something, you need to believe you are already in that position where you have what you want. If you are manifesting your dream job, tell yourself that you already have it, and visualize yourself in that position. Make sure to stay positive throughout this and take action for what you want. If your gut feeling is telling you to apply for this job, then do it. Sometimes it takes a while for your desire to manifest, so be patient. I’ve begun using a manifestation journal and writing down my dreams as if I already have them. When I am falling asleep at night I will imagine myself in the position of having already achieved my dreams. I know that in time, I will achieve what I put my energy and positive thoughts into!

You can choose to be a skeptic and believe spirituality isn’t real. I understand⁠—I was in that situation before. The important thing is to do what makes you feel good and gives you comfort. Spirituality has given me hope and guidance in my life. I am already a happier and more confident person than I was just a few months ago. 

Sydney Erickson is an English and Public Relations Major. She is an enrolled Cowlitz Indian. She loves books, movies, spirituality, and Marvel. Sydney hopes to become an author and actress one day. This is her second year writing for Her Campus.