This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

source

Welcome back Kitties!

Fall is coming fast and the school assignments are starting to pile up.  Not only does this time of year bring sweater weather and PSL, but it also brings the dreaded cold and flu season.  Coming back to school and being around hundreds of people every day is a real shock on your immune system, especially if you live in the dorms (believe me, the dorm plague is real). Here are a few ways to help avoid getting sick this fall, letting is quarter set the tone for a killer year!

Wash your hands

Yes, everyone learned this in kindergarten, but it is so important when it comes to staying healthy. Germs are everywhere, so even carrying hand sanitizer in your bag can help in those crunch times or in situations where a bathroom is not readily available.  Also, avoid touching your eyes, mouth, nose, and ears to eliminate the spread of bacteria and making sure you are regularly disinfecting commonly shared surfaces in your dorm or apartment.

Get enough Z’s

Getting enough sleep is so important on so many levels.  But it is especially vital when it comes to your immune system.  When you are sleeping this is your bodies time to build and refuel itself, so if you are getting less than 8 hours a night your bodies defense system is weakened and you are more likely to get hit with those unwanted sicknesses.  

Stay on top of your work

This ties in with getting enough sleep.  Most of the time in college students lose sleep over meeting deadlines of the assignments they put off to the very last second (I am very guilty of this).  The more stressed you become the harder it is on your immune system. So make sure that you stay super organized and on top of those grades!

Eat Healthily, Stay healthy

With the upcoming flu season keep up with your healthy diet.  Make sure you are getting plenty of fruit and veggies and are staying away from the cafeteria chicken strips.  The more wholesome foods you eat the better you will feel and it can help keep your immune system fighting. Also, add some vitamin C to your diet and make sure you are DRINKING WATER! It can be as simple as eating a few extra oranges or throwing an Emergen-C in your bag and drinking it at work, but it will help strengthen your body against all the germs covering campus.

Nothing is worse than making it through syllabus week and being slammed with not only assignments but with the flu, so make sure you are taking care of yourself this fall!

HCXO

Her Campus CWU President, Editor-in-chief, and Writer Senior at Central Washington University Major: Social Services Minor: Communications