Wellness > Mental Health

Giving Life Meaning: Existentialism vs. Essentialism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

I’ve always struggled with the big “meaning of life” question, and I often find myself dealing with existential dread. I took a philosophy class a few years back that was incredibly enlightening, and though I have no idea what the meaning of life is, I’ve found that thinking about my purpose from different philosophical standpoints has lessened my stress. 

The concepts surrounding essentialism and existentialism state that something’s existence depends on its independent properties and actions. That being said, existentialism is a response to essentialism. 

Essentialism claims that existence is dependent upon characteristics and properties that make something that it is; people are defined by their “essences” and those “essences” are necessary for existence. Alternatively, existentialism suggests that a person’s free will and actions determine their meaning of existence.

Simply put, an essentialist may believe that you were put on this Earth to do a certain thing, you were born to be a certain person with a hardwired purpose. Conversely, an existentialist may believe that we exist first and that the purpose part comes later.

Essentialism calls for a lot of introspection and finding your predetermined purpose, whereas existentialism calls for you to seek purpose in a life that would otherwise be meaningless. Does existence precede essence, or does essence precede existence?

I’ve been on this planet for 21 years and I struggle every day with my purpose. So… Some food for thought: If you believe in the essentialist route, I encourage you to look within yourself to find that purpose that you were born with, that thing that you were born to do. Maybe you’ve found it. Maybe it’s a gut feeling and you just know. Some go their whole lives looking. I know I still am. If you’re leaning more toward the existentialist route, think about a world entirely devoid of purpose; people who are devoid of inherent purpose. It’s now your job to find it. If the world is complete without purpose, you can choose to imbue it with whatever purpose you want. I think that’s really inspiring, and the thought encourages me every day to seek meaning and motivation. 

If you’re still struggling, here are some ideas to help deal with existential dread and the meaning of life:

• Practice mindfulness- explore your thoughts and their meanings and focus on what you can control.
  • Reconnect with your purpose- think about what you already know. What is your purpose right now?
  • Try not to dwell- I know this is so hard, but these are some of those questions that will probably forever go unanswered. We must try to focus on our impact and live a life that is good enough for us.
  • Do some research- Read about philosophy, and learn as much as you can about humanity, the planet and the universe without burning out. It helps me to feel well-informed.
  • Rely on the people who love you- if you’re struggling with the meaning of life, connecting with people can be vital. You may find that you’re not the only one struggling, and you may be able to answer some questions for each other.

Honestly, it’s a lot to take in. If it’s too much to think about, take a step back. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I encourage you to practice love, gratitude, introspection and patience. Good luck!

If you want to read more like this, check out the rest of our website for updates!

aquarius | english education