This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

This week Her Campus CWU caught up with Thomas! Thomas is in the Apparel, Textiles, and Merchandising major here at Central Washington University. This past summer, he spent 10 weeks in the Fashion District of Los Angeles interning for The Park Showroom where he learned the ins and outs of the fashion industry. He also was a student designer in last year’s annual fashion show put on by the ATM program every spring where he created a line of dresses that won the Student’s Choice Award!

Where are you from?

Bonney Lake, WA

What got you interested in the fashion industry?

I got into skateboarding in middle school and that led to an obsession with Nike skateboarding shoes. In high school, this shoe obsession evolved into a love for fashion and when it came time to decide what I wanted to study in college, I decided to pursue a degree that would lead to a job in the fashion industry. I love how quickly the industry moves and I love to see how much creativity is involved in it!

What is your favorite thing about the Apparel, Textiles, and Merch. program at CWU and what have been your favorite classes?

My favorite thing about the program would have to be how it covers pretty much all aspects of the fashion industry, from the math that you need to know when buying and merchandising to the in depth textile evaluations. My favorite courses have been fashion line development and fashion trend analysis.

What were the most beneficial outcomes of your summer internship in LA?

I think the connections that I made with professionals in the industry and the overall experience would have to be the best things that came out of my internship!

What are your career goals?

I would love to try out a few different jobs once I graduate college so I can find something that I really love to do then once I find that I want to strive to be the best at it and be known within the industry.

What are some of your hobbies outside of school?

I love to skateboard and fish.

Who are the artists on your favorite playlist right now?

My favorite artists right now would have to be Travis Scott, Young Thug, and Kanye West. 

Next time you see Thomas on campus, give him a friendly wave and don’t be afraid to say hello!