Career

Four Tips to Land That Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

It may not feel like it, but summer is fast approaching. And with summer comes the opportunity to make money and get job experience before stepping out into the real world. I recently went through the process of looking for and acquiring an internship at a mid-sized public accounting firm for this summer and thought I would share what helped me along the way!

person using laptop at a desk
Photo by Christin Hume from Unsplash

1. Get Linkedin

If you don’t already have one, get one! Linkedin is a great way to network and look for internships! Companies are constantly posting internship opportunities through Linkedin, so you could be missing out!

2. Internship Fairs

I know this may be a no-brainer, but involving yourself in internship and job fairs is a great way for organizations to match a face to the resume! You have the opportunity to have face-to-face communication with plenty of employees that were in your position not so long ago, so take advantage of that!

3. Invest in a Professional Wardrobe

Usually, when attending interviews and job fairs, you want to look the part. I’m not talking about anything super expensive, I buy most of my business-casual clothes at Target or Old Navy! Having a wardrobe full of essential professional clothing can help you not only look the part but feel the part, as well!

4. Join Clubs Affiliated with Your Prospective Career

This is probably the most important part because joining a club is another great way to network with professionals! Usually, academic clubs bring in speakers from so many different companies and organizations, so it’s a great way to talk to professionals from your prospective career!

My last piece of advice would be to be confident in yourself and your skills! Employers will see that and know that you will contribute positively as an intern.

Like this article? Be sure to check out our other features this week!

HCXO 

Self-love advocate and intersectional feminist with a passion for music, photography, and writing (she/her)