you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Everything You Need To Know: Study Abroad Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

I don’t think anybody that has studied or interned abroad can honestly say they made it through the process without a shadow of fear, anxiety, stress, worry, doubt, or tears; it’s inevitable. Taking your comfortable and steady life, that you’re totally used to, and moving across the world can’t possibly be easy for ANYONE. With that being said, it is possibly the best idea and experience one could possibly go through, according to just about anybody you’ll ask that already done it.

1) The Unavoidable Fear

First things first, whether you have visited 20 different countries or zero different countries, making the decision to study or intern abroad isn’t going to be a piece of cake for anyone- physically or emotionally. FOMO? Leaving behind your friends and family? And what about your pets? There are a ton of worries that may pop up in the back of your head as you start considering moving abroad. I mean it’s natural, leaving your consistent lifestyle that your are so comfortable with, and moving across the world alone can be a scary process. But that is normal! Nothing worth doing seems to come easy in life, and pushing through those irrelevant fears that may cross your mind may result in you being able to experience the absolute best time of your life. If you have considered doing an internship or study abroad program through college, one of the most important things to remember is that these fears are normal, but you aren’t going to look back when you’re 70 years old and say “Thank God I didn’t travel around the world when I had the chance!” No, this is the type of experience you will look back on and cherish for your entire life.

2) Making The First Move

If you have any idea floating around in your head that you would like to go abroad, act on it now. You have absolutely nothing to lose from exploring the different options that are out there for you to take. CWU’s International Center is a great place to start, there are multiple advisors with knowledge on every aspect of going abroad! You can easily talk to any advisor and they can help get you going in the right direction. If you’re more interested in starting the research on your own as soon as you can, check out CWU’s international programs on their website that list out numerous different programs, exchange programs and internships that are available for practically any major, anywhere in the world.

3) Why It’s Worth It

If you have ever talked to anyone who studied or interned abroad, I am 99.9% sure they probably told you it was absolutely the best decision they ever made. If you haven’t talked to anyone about it, reaching out to somebody who has gone abroad or even just an advisor is a great way to hear firsthand about what the experience is like! Of course, lots of people will tell you “why don’t you just travel abroad after you graduate?” and while that’s definitely an option, there’s a lot more to it than that. While you may be able to take work off and go visit another country for a few weeks after you’ve graduated, you don’t get many opportunities to MOVE across the world for a period of time. To be able to become indulged in an entirely new culture, atmosphere, and way of life while also studying your degree or getting credit with your school, that’s impressive. Most programs have options ranging from four weeks, to a semester, to an entire year abroad! The amount of experiences, skills, and lessons you will take from studying and interning abroad are uncountable. Not to mention, it is a total resume booster! Any future employer will see how you studied abroad and take from that the idea that you are independent, motivated, and a great candidate for any job. But really, the big picture is that there is a whole entire world of new places to see and new things to try out there. YOLO might sound a little too corny for this instance, but it really is true. So take an opportunity like this to explore everything out there that the world has to offer. Doing it while you are young and capable is something that can’t possibly be beaten or replaced.

4) Take It From An Previous CWU Student: Kailyn Warner

A student who previously attended CWU recently embarked on her own study abroad journey to Prague, Czech Republic. She absolutely, 100%, loved her time in Czech Republic. Kailyn said “some of my best experiences were the amount of travelling I was able to do while studying abroad in Prague. I met tons and tons of new people from all over the world and the fact that I got to engage in different events and experiences I could not have ever experienced in the U.S was something that changed my entire perspective on what the world has to offer.” Some of her favorite places she was able to visit were Amsterdam, Dubrovnik, Croatia and London. Her most important idea she sticks with after her study abroad journey is that “studying abroad was the best decision I have ever made for myself. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I will forever cherish and by far the best months I have ever experienced. I learned so much about myself, others, other cultures, and all there is out there in the world. You just have to take that leap to see it all.”

I am currently a Junior attending Central Washington University and majoring in Marketing with a minor in Sports Business!