This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

I’ve lived in Ellensburg now for three years and one of the common themes around this town is local.  Local food is the heart of Ellensburg.  It creates an atmosphere for your tastebuds and patrons.  The best part about local restaurants is the quality you are getting.  The food has the freshest ingredients from local vendors and farms across Kittitas County.  The uniqueness that a dish brings from the creativity of the cook, it’s all about local in every aspect.  Here are a few of my favorite local spots around town that I’d recommend.

The Tav: The traditional local bar that has the biggest bang for your buck.  A favorite of many, they offer all kinds of cocktails and beer as well as the best burgers and appetizers to curb your appetite.  I’d recommend the deep-fried green beans and a super mother burger with bacon; you won’t be disappointed. 

Mexican Grill: They take a traditional approach with a fusion of native Mesoamerican and European cooking techniques.  The flavors are spicy but so worth the burn.  This is one of my takeout favorites if you’re not in the mood for a sit-down meal.  I’d recommend for the less spicy approach, try the enchiladas verdes with a side of rice and beans.  The Oaxaca mole sauce will take your traditional enchiladas to the next level.

The Mule: One of the best cocktail bars in town.  I’ve always loved the traditional Moscow mule, but this place offers a wide variety of mules.  If you have a tough time choosing, I’d recommend a flight.  This gives you a chance to try a few.  Their food options offer some great comfort food that is sure to bring you back to some great meals you had as a kid.  I’d go for the doc holiday mule with some shepherd’s pie, the perfect hearty meal. 

Brix: In my opinion, one of the best date night spots that’s affordable.  Brix offers a wide range of wine choices as well as small-bite appetizers and wood-fired pizzas.  The waitresses are always friendly, and the service is great.  I love a glass of rosé with a personal-sized butcher’s block pizza.  If you’re extra hungry, add a side of their cheesy garlic bread or bruschetta to share. 

Kittitas Café: A raved-about tiny breakfast spot just off of the Kittitas exit.  They offer all kinds of coffee and tea drinks.  A popular Instagram-worthy post is their coffee flights if you’re unsure of what coffee drink to go for.  They have baked fresh pastries to start your morning as well as other breakfast plates and lunch options.  I’d order a small hot cocoa with a plate of biscuits and gravy. 

The Porch: Has your mix of great drinks and great food.  The only downside is certain food items are only offered at different time frames.  Don’t get me wrong, they have amazing food, I just wished the full menu was offered all the time.  My favorites are the steak and onion flatbread pizza and the porch-cut steak with garlic mashed potatoes and broccolini. 

Red Horse Diner: This diner is packed with nostalgia.  Every square inch is covered in automobile memorabilia.  You have your choice of the best burgers, sandwiches and so much more.  You’re getting an awesome atmosphere with your food.  I’d go for their red horse burger with French fries, or if you’re looking for something a little lighter they have an amazing chicken Caesar wrap. 

Anna Schultz-Chocolate Milkshake And Hand With Rings
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

The Huntsman Tavern: If you’re looking for a special occasion restaurant, the Huntsman will deliver.  Known for their enormous whiskey library, they offer the fanciest atmosphere.  The food is to die for, I’ve been here many times and never have I had a bad meal.  The hardest part is choosing my favorite, but if I were to order right now, I’d start with a side Caesar salad, pair that with a Riesling then for my main course I’d go for the Double R Ranch tenderloin with a side of freshly steamed vegetables and their whipped garlic mashed potatoes. 

Julep: Brings its southern kitchen and pairs it with crafted cocktails that rotate often.  They have killer appetizers and just amazing main dishes.  They recently started making a mocktails sheet if you’re not wanting an alcoholic beverage.  I’d start with an order of fried pickles along with any of their craft cocktails or mocktails then I’d dive into their pot roast dinner with fall-apart meat so tender with potatoes and carrots. 

The Palace Café: The most well-known restaurant in Ellensburg.  They have everything!  Again, I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad meal here.  It’s classic comfort foods as well as your favorite burgers and sandwiches.  If you’re feeling like just an appetizer, I’d go for their Palace sliders with a side of fries.  If you’re feeling more of a meal, I’d go for their French dip. 

Whether you’re an Ellensburg Washington local or finding yourself in another small town, make sure to support your local restaurants.  They put their heart and soul into creating a memorable meal and let’s be honest, if you want them to stick around, you’ve got to go ready to support and enjoy a great meal.

My name is Katelyn Richardson. I am 29 years old. I am currently attending Central Washington University studying for my Master's in food and sciences to become a nutritionist and later a diabetes educator for kids. I've been personally battling type 1 diabetes since I was six years old. I love being outside, vintage shopping, watching movies, and going to stock car races! I love being a Her Campus Contributor because it gives me a platform to talk about current issues, topics I'm passionate about & real-life relatable experiences.