CWU Classes That Will Stick with You Beyond the Classroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

If you haven’t already registered for this coming quarter, you will be soon. Gen-eds should be more than just required class you go through. College is an opportunity to learn as much as you can and be a more complex, well rounded member of society (otherwise it probably wouldn’t’t be as big of a deal). Now that most of us have made it through our gen-eds and are in full swing of our majors, here are a few classes that will stick with us far beyond CWU’s campus.

PHIL 104

One would think, that it would be difficult to openly discuss the most controversial topics in modern society in a classroom full of your peers. But there is something about hearing the perspectives of philosophers with differing opinions on each subject. Professor Michael Goerger, teaches Philosophy: Moral Controversies in a way that is informative but thought provoking.

abortion, euthanasia and adultery are pretty right or left opinions, but learning how to argue about a topic without presenting an entirely new argument is something we commonly run into. The class is not intended to sway your opinion right or left but what first years (or seniors who put off their gen-eds) will take anything away from this class, it is that there’s nothing wrong with opposing an opinion as long as you are open to opposition with valid reasoning. Great for anyone interested in Political Science or Pre-Law.

MNGMT 200

Hands down Essential skills of Business Professionals is one of the scariest class anyone has taken. Business majors are kicked out of their comfort zones by two well versed business minds, Dr. Bill Provazknik and Laurence Danton.

Make sure to buy a pair of trousers and a nice couple professional looking shirts because you will be needing them every other week (they should put that on the syllabus).

In this class you will build a shoe and pitch it to fake investors and then a couple weeks later you will build a prototype and pitch it to actual investors. You will learn to debate controversial topics like gun control on campus and the U.S. constitution in front of a small class of 26 and later a room of 150+ students who just debated the same thing.

The purpose of the class is not to get an A or B and move on with your life. These professors and student mentors will teach you how to create habits with positive reinforcement, strong presentation skills and above all, self confidence to walk into an interview or any business setting and show whoever is in charge what you have to offer.  

SOC 101

Pam McMullen teaches a class on social problems beyond western societies headlines. In this class you will learn that there are more pressing matters going on in the world that are more concerning than what color Kim Kardashian recently dyed her hair.

The significance of our individual roles in society will be reflected and your whole perspective on what is interesting will be forever changed. To be an enlightened and more concerned member of society is what you will take away from this class and if you’re like me, will stick with you long after you write the 8 page paper that practically wrote itself.

ENST 202

Another class taught by the sociology professor, Pam McMullen, is Environment and society. In this course, students learn about their individual and long term environmental impact. You don’t have to be interested in the environment to know that you’re degrading it, and any rational person I’m sure is interested to know to reduce it.

Geo 108

You will never look at a mountain the same again.

Theater 107

Intro to Theatre with Dr. Emily Rollie will teach you to respect theater arts beyond just watching Netflix. Taking her class will help students better understand the methods of drama, the history, and the types of drama that are outside of western civilizations.

President at Her Campus CWU Senior, Public Relations Major at Central Washington University!