This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

I’ve spent a lot of time over the last few years revisiting some of my favorite childhood books, shows, podcasts and more. It’s been great getting to go back in time and re-experience these things that were a huge part of my life. The nostalgia and memories I get to have again give me a greater appreciation for the things I loved as a kid. Here are a few of the shows, games and books that I have revisited, and what that has meant for me.

Alcatraz Vs. the Evil Librarians

It’s no secret now that I am a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson. It all started because of my dad, who bought the audiobooks for us to listen to when we would drive between his house and my mom’s after they got divorced. Re-listening to these audiobooks took me back to those fun car trips and times when my siblings and I got to spend time with my dad on the weekends. The comedy in the books, the running jokes I get to have with my siblings, and the fact that these books are what led me to my favorite author make them a huge part of my life.

Wings of Fire

This is another book series that I started as a kid. I remember my brother getting them from the book fair, but I only started reading them early on in high school when I made a deal with my best friend, where I would read his favorite book series, and he would watch my favorite anime. I re-listened to the first five books last year and enjoyed getting to revisit them and talk about them with him. He still insists that I should catch up with the series, and maybe I will one day, but I still enjoyed getting to experience them again.

Percy Jackson

I remember reading Percy Jackson when I was in middle school. Last year, a friend of mine recommended the Percy Jackson Musical to me, and I’ve been hooked since then (The singer for Percy was my second highest Spotify artist of 2021). The musical made me want to get back into the books, and I cruised through the first five audiobooks. Although I fizzled out on the Heroes of Olympus series, I had a great time re-listening to the books, and it’s made me even more hyped for the new series coming out soon. It’s been a lot of fun singing the songs, freaking out about Walker Scobell, and preparing for one of my favorite series to continue.

The Spiderwick Chronicles

I’m not sure how many people remember this series and the movie that came out years ago, but I know I was pleasantly surprised to find that the audiobooks were read by none other than Mark Hamill himself. I first read these in late elementary school, and they still hold up as fun but short adventures that taught me about the fae world, what a dumbwaiter was and more about the magical aspects of everyday life.

The Infernal Devices

I read this series in middle school and had so much fun gushing over the male leads with my friends. I was a hard-core Jem supporter, but I was shocked to find that, upon re-listening, Will is clearly superior. Getting to reexplore this series and was great, especially as I was painting a deck and doing yard work over the summer. This series helped me recognize my love for industrial revolution era literature and the combination of magical elements and real-world places, with the added bonus of having one of the best-written love triangles I’ve ever read.

Lego Ninjago

I watched this show as a child with my siblings, and it holds a special place in my heart. My siblings and I would argue over who was the best character have other silly debates. We spent hours watching and re-watching this show. Over winter break, my sister and I re-watched the first few seasons and it was such a blast getting to review it all over again. The jokes still hold up, the story was entertaining, and the characters will always stand out to me. And ill never be able to get the theme song out of my head again.

Your Lie in April

I first watched Your Lie in April back in my freshman year of high school, and it made me so sad I had to make myself a batch of cookies to eat while watching the finale. This is a show that I revisit frequently, and every time I laugh, cry and enjoy a beautiful story about love, forgiveness, and finding yourself. While this is something that I watched for the first time just a few years ago, I still enjoy it every time and remember what it was like the first time I watched it.

Legend of Zelda

I have always been a huge fan of the Legend of Zelda series, ever since I knew what video games were. This isn’t something that I have lost or interest that has fizzled out, but rather something that I have become more fully immersed in, specifically Wind Waker, which first came out on the GameCube. Last summer I borrowed my uncles Wii U and got to finally beat the gamer after spending my whole life playing it but being too scared to beat it. I recently became obsessed with the Speed Running community and have spent the last month watching speed runs of Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, and more. I’m waiting for the day that Wind Waker will make its way to the Switch (knock on wood) so I can revisit this franchise over and over and over again.

Sonic the Hedgehog

I had a huge Sonic phase in middle school, reading FanFiction included. I watched a lot of Sonic X as a kid, and have re-watched it several times since then, although not since middle school. My brother and I were huge fans and loved to draw the characters, play the games, and listen to the songs, which I still have on my Spotify to this day. I enjoyed the release of the first live-action movie back in 2020, and was very excited for the second one, which just released last month. The movie, in addition to having friends who also enjoy the series has encouraged me to reenter my Sonic phase at full force. I’ve been listening to the songs nonstop, just bought Sonic Mania on the Switch, have looked into the comic book universes, and have embraced my cringey middle school side. I think reconnecting with this franchise has helped me be more authentic to myself. In the past it was something I’ve been embarrassed by, but having friends who share this interest with me has meant the world. Now I get to be unapologetically excited for Sonic Prime, the new show, Sonic Frontiers, the next game, and the release of Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

Getting to reconnect with what I grew up loving has taught me a valuable lesson about consuming the media that makes me happy and connecting with those who relate to me. The last few years have let me walk down memory lane, and I encourage everyone to indulge in their nerdy, cringey, or silly interests.

secondary education major and creative writing minor. frog enthusiast, dog mom, and plant collector.