This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Thinking back two years ago to when the pandemic first started and we were all baking bread and going for walks, I began wanting more to listen to while doing tasks outside of just music. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good jam session with my favorite tracks, but sometimes you’re just not in the mood. So, I turned to podcasts! 

Maybe I was a little late to the podcast game compared to everyone else, but I fell in love with learning new things, hearing stories and just flat out listening to people talk about nothing. If you need some podcast recs, look no further because here are my top podcasts that talk about anything and everything!

Not past it

This podcast drew me in because of its interesting episodes. From topics like the beanie baby craze to how the green m&m got sexy to Woodstock, host Simone Polanen covers a moment in history from the very same week. My favorite episode is “How to Invent a Holiday,” which, I definitely am thinking about doing now.

Financial feminist

This podcast covers all the financial basics and needs to know from a feminist perspective. Aimed at promoting traditionally marginalized people in the finance world. I love this podcast because the host gives overviews of a ton of topics in a really easy-to-understand way. One of my favorite episodes is “Breaking Down the Racial Wealth Gap + Minority Appraisal Crisis, with Tiffany Aliche aka The Budgetnista.” I love that the host, Tori, uses her platform to educate and spread awareness about so many topics in the world of finance. 

Spirit plate

This is the newest podcast I’ve been listening to. It covers topics honoring traditional foods of indigenous people, telling histories, and discussing relationships to food. As a first nations woman, I really appreciate more and more indigenous people on platforms discussing their traditions. I was fortunate enough to grow up in my culture, but I know that is not the case for all indigenous people. Food is medicine!

Ladies and Tangents

My love, my life, my comfort podcast! Each week, hosts Jeri and Ciara pick a random topic and talk about it on their couch. This podcast is one of few that genuinely make me laugh. There’s a perfect balance of giving the episodes the space it needs, and the hosts going on tangents that make you feel like you’re talking to an old friend. My favorite episode is “If That Turkey Sammie Could Talk” where the ladies share some personal stories and share others’ submitted scandals.

Ologies with alie ward

Every episode covers a different topic with interviews from professionals that study it! From raccoons to bees, to gaming, to ADHD, there is literally always something to learn from this podcast, while giving you excellent chances at trivia night. My favorite episode is “TikTok-ology with Hank Green” discussing what the app is, and why it’s so unique to its kind. 

It’s been a minute with sam sanders

I’m such a sucker for anything put on by NPR, and this podcast is no exception. The host interviews “people in the culture who deserve your attention” weekly. I have learned so much from this podcast and introduced me to a ton of topics through conversation. Makes me think of playing on the kitchen floor listening to the radio as a kid while my parents were cooking dinner. My favorite episode is “Pop Music’s ‘Latin Explosion’ of 1999”. 

Teachers off duty

Where are all my ed majors at? This podcast is one that I actually found through Tik Tok! This podcast features a group of teachers who – talk about being teachers and everything that goes along with it. I am just starting listening, so I don’t have a favorite yet, but can definitely tell this podcast is becoming one of my favorites!

Short wave

Another NPR one coming in hot! I have never been very good at science, so it was a little intimidating to dive into this science podcast at first. Host Emily Kwong puts out 10-minute shows daily about all kinds of science topics. I love that this show makes science accessible for everyone, and I learn a little something new every day. My favorite episode is “Kids’ Books Where Science is the Adventure”. It makes my heart so happy that science books for kids are becoming popular, and that they show that everyone can be a scientist. 

Zoe is a CWU Senior studying Elementary and Special Education. She loves to spend her free time with her cat Pip and loves to bake!