10 Ways to Kick Seasonal Depression’s A**

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

I know it can be so hard for a lot of us to stay positive and motivated over winter. Believe me, I’d much rather be soaking up the delicious warmth of the sun while sitting under a full, fluffy-leafed tree, or even be able to go outside for more than a few minutes and still feel my fingers and toes. But one look outside and anyone can tell that days like those won’t be coming around for quite a while. So why not make the most of what we have now?

If you do things right, and look at things a certain way, the snow could start to feel a little more comforting, a little more beautiful in the way it falls and blankets our world. The cold doesn’t feel so bad, and the dreariness of winter starts to feel a little more peaceful. 

So here are 10 things you can do to get yourself there. Because at the end of the day, you deserve to be happy regardless of what’s going on outside. 

listen to your body

Now stay with me, we need to establish the basics first. It’s easy to get pulled into the idea that we have to be positive around other people, the life of the party even. No one wants to be a “debbie downer”. This idea is downright exhausting, and I’m willing to bet that a lot of people know what I’m talking about. But for the love of whatever resides above, listen to what your body is telling you, and allow yourself to feel. Humans were designed to have cycles of ups and downs, so even if it’s as small as feeling a little more tired than usual and allowing yourself to take naps or have more breaks, or if it’s much bigger than that, it is so, so, SO important to pause, identify what that icky, sludgy feeling is in your chest, and do what you need to in order to properly take care of yourself. Drink water (because if you’re anything like me, you’re definitely dehydrated), eat enough and fulfilling meals, take those breaks and naps, and just allow yourself to feel crummy if you feel crummy. It’s freaking cold outside, your mind and body aren’t going to be particularly thrilled about it. 

Journal

To continue off of my earlier point, it’s important to understand what you’re feeling and why, and even more important to find ways to get it out of your system. One of the best and most convenient ways to do this is through journaling. Go out and spend some money on a pretty journal, get that unnecessarily fancy one you’ve been looking at, get one with an extravagant cover, maybe with some distressed-looking pages and a sophisticated-looking lock (can you tell I have one that I’m minorly obsessed with?). This doesn’t have to be a boring task, the point is to not only help you process but to help lift your mood as well. If you make it fun and pretty, it could make it even more beneficial (bonus points if you get yourself a fancy pen just for your journal!)

get out of your room (and into another one)

Yes, it’s so terribly cold and slippery outside. I don’t blame you for wanting to hibernate in your room for a little while. And honestly, a little bit of hibernating is good every once in a while. But after a little bit, it’s time to get up and find some new scenery. You could take your laptop with you and do your homework in the SURC, or by a window in the Bistro (If you happen to come in while I’m working, there is a chance that I may “accidentally”  make you a free drink!). There are a couple of super cute cafes and bakeries in downtown Ellensburg as well if you’re feeling like getting off campus. But doing things outside of your room or apartment will help get your body moving, and help to stimulate your mind and get it out of that stuck feeling. 

Decorate!

I always have SO much fun with this one. It’s time to let the Pinterest boards shine and your inner interior designer come out! By changing your surroundings at home, you can help to shift the energy in your space. Bring in more lights to contrast the dark, moody clouds outside. Add some greenery, whether fake or real (You have my respects if you can keep multiple plants alive, I think mine are going through it right now). If you’re an artist, hang up some of your work to add flare, color, and a sense of pride. If you’re homesick, or just have super stinkin’ cute pictures of your little siblings and dogs (like I do), then throw those up there too! 

show yourself off!

Pinterest will be your best friend. Dressing up during winter is a bit tricky, especially when trying to balance “cute” and “keeping all 20 of my fingers and toes”. But it doesn’t just have to be outfits that you put together. You could try some wacky new makeup looks, dye your hair, wear some funky jewelry, have fun with it! Also spending more time in your morning and night routines can be a great form of self-care. Take those hot Hollywood showers/baths, use a body scrub, moisturize, get a skincare routine if you don’t have one. Treat yourself like the god/goddess you are!

get your body moving

Probably saw this one coming a mile away, but make sure to get your body moving. Whether it’s by doing a workout, walking or biking to class (make sure you are bundled up for this and be careful), or maybe even doing something more lowkey like yoga or some nice stretching in the morning, get up and get moving. You’ll have so much more energy and feel a lot stronger and more powerful (which is key if you’re still trying to feel like a goddess!) You can even envision yourself as a main character, perhaps an assassin in training, or a newly reborn fae harnessing her new powers (ACOTAR fans know what I’m talking about)

food for your ears: music and podcasts

Make yourself an upbeat playlist, whether it’s more chill/vibey or a collection of music from the early 2000s, or somewhere in between, having a good playlist just makes everything better. Noah Kahan? Chill, summery, definitely thrown into some of my playlists. Britney Spears? You better believe she’s in the mix too. It’s hard to be moody when “Gimme More” starts playing. 

If you’re not in the mood for any music, or need something a little more direct, there are tons of amazing podcasts available as well. Try something comedic, or find an inspirational “How to be a Bad Bitch” type of podcast. (My current fav is Hot Girl Energy Podcast by Kaylie Stewart)

get crafty! get artsy! get your hands dirty!

This one’s pretty self-explanatory. But the satisfaction of spending the time creating something, and then seeing your work come together is such a confidence booster, and just fun in general. You can make things like:

• Bookmarks 
  • Jewelry 
  • Simple decor
  • Legos
  • Puzzles
  • Crochet or knit
  • Buy some air-dried clay and make a jewelry holder, charms, funky little creatures, etc.
  • Small gifts and trinkets for friends and loved ones (they can be pretty or comically ugly, or even minorly annoying if you get crafty enough. Don’t make them perfect, those who are worth being around will love anything you make them simply for the fact that you were thinking of them and took the time to make something for them.)
romanticize

This is where “stop and smell the roses” comes into play. Admire the snow and how perfectly soft it looks, how it flutters down from the sky and brushes your nose on its way, how it catches the light and glitters, how it crunches under your boots. The way lights reflect and swirl off of everything after it melts and saturates the earth. When you’re back home, treat yourself to some warm drinks and treats, cozy up under a blanket and read a good book by the window to wind down. Set some mood lighting and candles (if you’re not in a dorm). You can also curate a playlist that feels surreal in the same way the snow does. Take some pictures in it too, or make a snowman/snow angel.

find your support system

I’ve saved the most important for last. If you’re not feeling your best, if you’re struggling, even a little bit, talk to someone about it. Surround yourself with people willing to listen and help you through whatever it is you’re going through. Call family if you can, even if it’s just to say hi and have a sense of familiarity. But whoever it is, go to people who will be there for you and be willing to understand that you, just like they probably are too, are just feeling a little blue during the winter.

Hey, my name is Jordan! I have a passion for advocating for mental health and anything artsy. I like discussing deeper topics in an open and casual way, and making heavy matters feel less daunting and lonely. On the lighter side, I love nature, animals, shopping, and romance novels too!