Why Staying In DC For A Summer Is Better Than Going Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

When I decided to stay in DC last year, I was really unsure what the summer would hold.  I was about to start a new adventure in a city I had learned to love during my time at Catholic.  I tried to apply for the traditional 9-5 internships and jobs but was having no luck landing one.  It wasn’t until the last week of the semester that a friend of mine told me about an opening as a hostess at a local restaurant.  It wasn’t much at the time but it kick started my DC summer journey.

By staying in the district for the summer (and avoiding that impending 9-5 job life), I had more freedom to explore other options and interests.  I took a course through CUA on the biochemistry of science fiction.  I worked as an event promoter for a local magazine company.  I took an online fashion and social media internship through CollegeFashionista, allowing me to dive further into an industry I wanted to pursue in a city that was not ideal for a future in fashion business.  My odds and ends jobs and activities were nothing short of unconventional, but they allowed me to gain skills and experiences I never would have if I did not spend a summer in DC.

Not to mention, socially, DC is an awesome place to be for the summer.  I was definitely a little weary at first being so far away from the beach and being trapped in the unpredictable weather of DC.  However, I was able to explore new outlets that I never had the chance to visit during the semesters.  Nationals baseball games, concerts, german bier hauses, rooftop bars, and beer and wine festivals are just a few of the many events that occur all summer long in DC.   Also, if you find yourself unbelieavably hot in the middle of a July afternoon, the restaurant Cantina Marina on the waterfront will bring you a little bit of serenity and paradise in a bustling city.

My experience staying in DC this summer was truly unique and will forever go down as one of the best summers of my life.  If you don’t have a job, an internship, or a plan yet for a DC summer yet don’t fret.  Washington, D.C. is full of hidden opportunity and CUA students and alumni who are always willing to lend a helping hand to anyone who asks!

Here’s a few testimonials from a few other HC CUA contributors and why they too think you should stay in DC this summer:

Bri Bee Class of 2016: After my freshmen year, I decided to stay in DC and intern on the Hill. I can honestly say that it was one of the best summers of my life. I lived off campus with my best friend and a few upperclassmen, boys and girls. Over two months, I was able to make new friends, become more familiar with DC, and grew more independent. I interned Monday-Thursday from 9:00 – 5:00 and did not feel overwhelmed because classes were out of session. By working consistently, I was treated like a staffer and my colleagues are always willing to help me with different opportunities. Also Fourth of July is amazing in DC- fireworks on the National Mall and other festivities are more than enough reasons why you should stay! 

Juliet Onufrak Class of 2017: Spending a summer in DC was one of my best decisions. Not only was it insanely fun, but it took me out of my comfort zone completely. Staying home over summers is comfortable, and you know what to expect. So staying in DC was a risk, but well worth it. I explored bars and restaurants in every corner of the city. I started working and met a variety of new and interesting people, and made connections for all types of odd jobs. Besides that, the small group of CUA that remained here for the summer were some people I had never met, but who quickly became long lasting friends. Literally no regrets.

Caroline Ware Class of 2016:  DC in the summer. First that sounds like a scary thought. At least it was for me when I was making my decision whether or not to stay down here. I knew the move would be easy because I already was paying for an apartment and a bunch of my friends were staying here too. But how on earth do I find a job? I knew I would be working at the restaurant I work at during the year but what can I also do to make me more desirable for a job after school… This lead me to applying to a TON of internships. And then it happened. I was laying in bed when I got an interview for National Public Media. From that day the process moved very quickly and I was hired as an intern for Digital Sponsorship Advertising.

The summer was amazing, I worked at NPR and met some of the most amazing people that have helped me further myself into what exactly I want to do within the Marketing world. DC offers so many internships for the summer and everyone should act on them! Not to mention the bar scene in the summer is fabulous. ( U street on Friday nights )! If you are blessed with the opportunity to stay in DC for the summer TAKE IT!

Catholic University Senior. Romping around the District. Playing with Words. Trend-trying, Style Seeking Individual. Coffee Enthusiast. Mac-and-Cheese's Soulmate. Retired Athlete/Future Soccer Mom. Swipe right for more info.