Must Read Letter after a Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

Dear Friend, 

I have been in your exact position. In the past, you felt clear headed and confident in your future and plans. Especially because you had a very stable and loving relationship that made you feel good and gave you support whenever sh*t in your life hit the fan. 

Now that you are going through a break up with your true and first love, you feel unmotivated, lost, and looking aimlessly for someone to make you feel better. The truth is no one is going to make it better, initially. Not your parents, not your friends, not random guys because they really don’t know how you feel. The only person who can help you is yourself. 

It sounds difficult because it is. It’s only going to get worse before it gets better. However, I wish someone was blunt with me from the beginning so I wouldn’t have wasted my time being upset for months. 

You need to give yourself time honestly to mourn because a breakup is equivalent to death (lol). You might think it’s a good idea to text casually, meet up for dinner casually, hookup casually but if it’s not working, chances are that it’s not going to work in the near future.

You need to put all of your energy towards doing everything you want. It can be anything: painting, dancing, learning a language, traveling, working, or cooking. Do things that help you grow but challenge you. Most importantly, surround yourself with people who want the best for you and build you up. The second someone is negative, mentions what your ex is doing or he is doing, or doesn’t support you tell them to buzz off. Life is honestly too short to deal with bullsh*t. 

It’s incredible how life works out. Once you realize that everything cannot be planned or go accordingly to your vision, you will be at ease. You are a beautiful, smart, hard working, and caring individual. Your options are limitless. Realize your worth. This is not the end; it’s only the beginning to your adventurous life.

Sincerely, 

Bri

Briana Bee is a senior at the Catholic University of America. She is completing her Bachelor's Degree in American Political Science with a Minor in Public Health Policy and Theology. Briana has interned for Congress, the Environmental Protection Agency, PA State Senate, and Irish Parliament. She is extremely passionate about women's rights, health and nutrition, current issues, and her lipstick. Briana joined HerCampus CUA because she wants to raise awareness on important topics and be a voice for women and the greater CUA community.