This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

With the cold winter season in full stride, the itch to do some fun winter-themed activities is stronger than ever. With the pandemic still being prevalent today and our holiday season looking different, I’ve brainstormed a list of Covid-safe and fun winter activities. Although coming back to school after the holidays can be sad, I hope doing some of these items will bring excitement to you, your friends and your family! Below I’ve compiled a list of the ultimate bucket list to make this winter the best and most memorable one yet.

1. Ice Skating (preferably somewhere outdoor!)

Starting the list off strong, we have ice skating! I, very biasedly, put this activity as number one because it is one of my most favorite winter activities! Even if ice skating isn’t your thing, going somewhere outdoors gives the vibes we’ve been patiently waiting all year for. Going ice skating with friends and family always gives plenty of laughs as well when one, or all, end up having some funny reactions to the slipperiness of the ice.

1. Decorating Cookies

Even though the holidays have already passed, decorating cookies always gets people together. For the last couple of years, my family and I have been decorating Christmas cookies together and it has been one of my favorite holiday traditions. Playing Christmas music, having Christmas lights around, the warmth of the kitchen and the sound of laughs as we look at some ridiculous cookie decorating skills, this activity is sure to get you in the spirit of the season. Although Christmas is over, winter is the perfect season to get together with friends and family and enjoy the fun of cookie decorating together.

3. Make a Winter Playlist 

This activity is definitely underrated and can easily fly under the winter activity radar, but making a playlist that makes you feel warm and cozy during the winter, especially with the friend group or the family, is such a wholesome, simple, inexpensive and fun time. Having everyone collaborate on the playlist makes way for banter about which holiday-themed song is arguably the best, why the Glee cast version should or shouldn’t be on the playlist, and, one of the most controversial of them all, the playlist name. Check out my Spotify playlist from a few years ago for inspiration!

4. Go to Your Local City

Whether that city is a huge metropolis or a city center, there are usually some fun hidden activities all around. It could be simply walking around with a hot chocolate in town with your best friend looking at holiday lights, attending a local community holiday play going on, or a warm bakery with delicious winter confections.

5. Reflect

The holidays aren’t an easy or fun time for a lot of people, so during this time of year, I really enjoy reflecting on my life and being grateful for what I have and the people I have around me. I think it is important to reflect on yourself during this time and think about the entirety of the year, the holiday season and the way you’ve changed as a whole. Enjoy yourself and the bucket list, but remember to practice gratitude if things go differently this winter season.

Oftentimes the winter season can feel bleak, empty and unkind for many people. With the impact of seasons changing and the coldness of winter settling in, I hope this bucket list helps make your winter season brighter, livelier and more memorable than ever!

Jess Rampersaud

CU Boulder '24

Jess Rampersaud is a participating writer at the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter. Aside from participating in Her Campus at CU Boulder, Jess has interned this past summer in NYC for a Professional Services firm. She has previously worked with the University of Colorado at Boulder Student Government from 2021-2023 as Intern Director and Health & Safety Chair. Jess has also volunteered as a Peer Mentor her sophomore year of college through Mentor Collective to help freshmen adjust to college settings. She attended school in her hometown in Westchester NY before coming to CU to study English Literature and Psychology with a Presidential Scholarship. Jess is the ultimate foodie and loves all things related to travel. Some of her several interests include playing tennis and soccer, ice skating, hanging with friends, making playlists, and cooking or baking. This is her last semester writing for Her Campus before she graduates in December 2023.