This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Before you read this article, I want you to close your eyes. I want you to think about what you’re doing when you feel your most powerful. You feel that, don’t you? That warmth inside your chest that seems to grow with each full breath you take. It’s the same warmth you feel when you’re drifting off to sleep, and the distractions of the day begin to wear off. This is your purpose. It is the fire inside of you that guides you even when you try your best to put it out. 

Her Campus Media

My fire is young. After years of doing things for the sole purpose of fitting in, my flames took on the colors of the people around me. When my friends were cold, I tried my best to warm them knowing they had no intention of returning the favor. You can not do what I did. Your fire is sacred, and you cannot let it drown by people who only use it at their own convenience. 

Her Campus Media

Now that you’ve felt that warmth in your chest, you cannot let go of it. Nurture it. Take account of who you’re with, and what you’re doing when you feel that your flames cannot be contained. You will walk through this world with a light of knowing your purpose in this world, and a light like that cannot live hidden beneath your bones. There will be people who don’t understand you. They will try to convince you that you are burning too bright and that you need to be smaller, but please promise me you will keep moving forward.

Courtesy: Green Chameleon

Writing this now, I am burning bright. I have found the thing that I am meant to do, and I finally know the importance of keeping it close to me and letting it guide me. To know your place in this world is a superpower that is hard to come by, and when you give it the care and attention, your fire will never cease. 

Emma D'Arcy

CU Boulder '22

Emma is a junior at CU Boulder studying Communications, and the Director of Chapter Branding for Her Campus CU Boulder. Outside of school, you can find her at a local coffee shop, the farmers market, or writing her latest article!
Sko Buffs!