This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

As students pilgrimage back to campus after their Fall Break homecomings, many are dreading their return to a dining hall diet. From NYU to Princeton to Berkeley, colleges across the country are notorious for serving subpar meals and causing severe stomach issues. Even here in Boulder, complaints about the main dining hall, the Center for Community (C4C), are abundant. However, the C4 is over-hated. 

Most students aren’t maximizing their culinary experience at the C4. Rather than embracing the versatility offered by the six international stations, diners restrict themselves to one cuisine. They find something that sounds appealing at one station and proceed to build their whole meal around the food present there. However, not all the options at each station are going to be delectable. What C4-goers should do instead is take a lap around the cafeteria to get a panorama of everything that is being served before loading their tray up, or check the daily menus on the Nutrislice app prior to their dining experience. This way, students are able to survey all of their options, which enables them to pick what looks most appealing to them. By diversifying their plates, students can enliven their meals to prevent repetitive meals and getting sick of the C4 food. 

Dare I say, though, the food served at the C4C is objectively not bad. While it is not a home-cooked meal, I’ve never had a meal I’ve been absolutely appalled by. In fact, I find myself looking forward to Tuesdays because I know the mushroom-stuffed tortellini will be available. Or Thursdays, because Thursdays mean lamb day at the Persian station. A visible smile is plastered across my face when I enter the C4 and see chicken sandwiches or grilled cheese or chicken nuggets on people’s plates. Plus, I can always count on the desserts to be delicious, no matter my entree. Sure, there are hits and misses here and there, but what do we expect from a kitchen that has to serve thousands of students every day? Of course not everything can be restaurant-quality, so I count my blessings as they are given. 

The college stereotype to hate on the dining hall food is tired. It’s time CU students realize that it is not easy work to feed a campus and be grateful for what we have. 

Keeley Haynes

CU Boulder '27

Keeley Haynes is a first year staff writer at CU Boulder's Her Campus chapter. She reports on all things entertainment, culture, music, and politics, but loves to channel her passion into opinion pieces as well. Keeley is a freshman at CU Boulder majoring in Journalism and Political Science. She discovered her passion for the media while writing for her high school's news publication, The Range. In addition to Her Campus, Keeley is a member of the Women in Philosophy club, Community Council, and CMCI Student Government. Outside of the writing room, you will find Keeley reading, swimming, or crying to A24 flims. Her favorite and most expensive hobby is attending concerts; the best show she has attended is Taylor Swift's reputation Stadium Tour. Aside from T.S., she listens to Phoebe Bridgers, The 1975, beabadoobee, Simon & Garfunkel, and Kendrick Lamar.