Wellness

Why Becoming Vegetarian Was the Best Decision I Ever Made

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Growing up, the talk of climate change and how we need to stop it was always in my ear from my environmentalist parents. With the guidance of them, I thought we as individuals were doing everything we could do to combat climate change; we had solar panels on our roof, a compost bin out back, LED light bulbs and hybrid cars. So, my world was turned upside down when I learned how much the meat industry contributes to climate change and how little this issue was talked about. I knew I had to play my part in fixing this problem.

Now, with nearly a year of being vegetarian under my belt the recent news from the United Nations Scientific panel reminds me of why I became vegetarian and why everyone else should too to have a positive impact on the earth and their own life.

Photo from Unsplash.

Aside from the satisfaction of knowing I am playing my part in slowing the impact of climate change, not eating meat anymore has made so many positive impacts on my life.

One thing becoming vegetarian made me do was force me to try new foods. Since I was no longer eating meat I had to find a substitute for it in many meals and expand my eating pallet. Before I stopped eating meat I would never try new things, now I’m in love with foods I used to be scared of. One of these foods was mushrooms, wow oh wow was a missing out before.

Photo from Unsplash.

Along with trying these new foods came a healthier diet without even really trying. I was eating more fruits and veggies and actually enjoying them. This also led to some weight loss without a change in my (very limited) exercise or daily routine.

With that healthier lifestyle came an overall better feeling. I felt so much healthier and energized and I really think it helped my mental health as well. There are also known health benefits from becoming vegetarian or just eating less meat, like preventing cancer and heart disease.  

Photo from Unsplash.

The transition to becoming vegetarian was not as hard as I thought it would be and although the occasional whiff of chicken nuggets makes my mouth water I’m so happy I stopped eating meat because of how much better it makes me feel. I encourage everyone to try eating less animal-based products for a healthier feeling and a healthier earth!

Vyla Carter

CU Boulder '22

Vyla is currently studying journalism as a first-year student in the College of Media, Communications and Information at the University of Colorado Boulder. Hoping to pursue a career in photojournalism, Vyla can almost always be found with a camera and an idea for what she is going to shoot next. Outside of the classroom, she is a member of the CU Boulder equestrian team and rides horses competitively. Vyla is also a photographer for the CU Independent and is looking forward to her first year of college as a new member of the Her Campus gang!
Sko Buffs!