This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

August is here and we all know that means, it is move-in season! Whether that is moving into a dorm or moving into an apartment, it is equally exciting and possibly daunting. I have compiled a list of things that you should own before you realize you need them (apartment addition).

A toilet plunger

I think this one is self explanatory, but whether you, a friend or roommate is the culprit, at some point you will need a plunger and it’s better to have one before you need it than when you need it.

Bathroom cleaner

When you move into an apartment, the unit is usually precleaned, but having witnessed the “cleaning” done at my apartment for resident turnover you should definitely have your own bathroom cleaner. I recommend cleaning it before using, and especially before you find not cute surprises…just get a bathroom cleaner, it’s super easy!

Bottle opener/wine corkscrew

This is one my roommates and I thought we didn’t need, but then we did need both and it was an interesting time. You can only guarantee you buy screw off lidded beverages for so long. If you find yourself in this situation, ask your neighbors for a wine bottle opener BEFORE you try to open it with screws, butter knives and hammers.

Mini toolkit

Something will break on the weekend and the maintenance crew won’t be able to come until the weekdays (if your apartment complex even offers maintenance).

Margaritas (if you’re above the legal drinking age of course)

After move-in is always a great time to hang out with your roommates and have a margarita as you get excited to start the new school year.

While this list isn’t extensive, it covers a good amount of the basic things you will need for your apartment before you know you need them. Good luck with move-in, Buffs!

Katelynn Hughes

CU Boulder '21

Katelynn is currently a senior at CU Boulder, double majoring in Neuroscience and Psychology with a minor in Business. She is an undergraduate student researcher studying alcohol use in adolescence and has worked with public policy around juvenile justice. She currently serves as the Events Director for the CU chapter on the Senior Exec board. In her free time she loves movie nights with her girl squad and cuddling with her poodle.
Sko Buffs!