The Definitive Ranking of Where to Get Caffeine on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

From 8 a.m. classes to midnight study sessions, the only proper way to get through the day is with caffeine. Not only does it come in many delicious variations, but it is truly the one college essential that is nearly impossible to live without. Luckily, CU Boulder’s campus is packed with so many tasty places to get your fix from. Below is a ranking of where you can find the best drinks (both coffee and tea). Quick disclaimer, we’re lucky that all of the spots are yummy, but I did indeed choose to rank them.

Pekoe Sip House (ATLAS Building)

Pekoe is without a doubt the superior place to get your drinks on campus. Here, you can find both familiar drinks, or try something new and exciting, such as their chia chai or the vanilla toddy boba. They offer a variety of coffee drinks, tea, boba, among other tasty treats, including the best chocolate chip cookie I’ve had. If you check them out, be sure to try their horchaita beverage.

Starbucks (UMC)

Yes. I know putting Starbucks this high up is a bold move. Campus has so much to offer and ranking it second seems basic, but I’ve decided it’s not. It’s classic. Starbucks might as well be my second home, and I’m sure that is a statement true for many of you. Their macchiatos and refreshers are impossible to match, and if I’m being honest, who can beat that chocolate croissant? (Answer: no one)

Starbucks
Hunter Honeg / Spoon
Gravity Cafe (Engineering Center)

This is definitely a hidden gem I’m happy to have found. Gravity Cafe has the yummiest bevs, and each month they choose a featured drink and a new charity event because their mission is to give back to local communities! This month, it is a lavender latte. Doesn’t that sound delicious?

Foolish Craig’s Too (Porter Building)

Foolish Craig’s Too is so good! They have the best breakfast to accompany your drink of choice. The reason it ranks fourth is because the variety isn’t as wide as those above it, but that doesn’t mean it’s lacking in quality. Their chai and I have become best friends. 

Etai’s Bakery Cafe (East Campus)

It makes me sad that Etai’s Bakery Cafe made fifth on the list because it is so good. Their food? Unmatched. Unlike no other. Simply out of this world. If I’m being honest though, while their drinks are very good, I find that I don’t crave them as much as the ones listed above. Their chocolate hazelnut latte is just scrumptious, though. Bonus mentions: the green goddess bowl and the chicken basil sandwich. Thank me later.

The Bakery (C4C)

Yes. You can pay with Munch Money. Yes. The location is pretty ideal, given that it’s located right in the C4C. Honestly, their drinks do the job. I personally love their iced lattes. This one comes last however because despite the variety, I find the flavor inconsistent. I’m always in for a surprise when I taste my drink but hey, coffee is coffee, and I am so thankful this little bakery exists.

Cafe Bagle Coffee Laptop
Michele Hu / Spoon

Campus gives us many options for drinks, and that might be my favorite part about going here. Coffee, tea, or whatever you like, you’re bound to find it at one of the places listed above. Which one is your favorite?

Noelia Salazar

CU Boulder '23

Noelia is majoring in international affairs with a minor in communications. She is passionate about social change and bringing light to topics not talked about enough. She loves books, makeup, and coffee. In her free time, she's probably rewatching Gilmore Girls.