book fashion plants minimal cactus cacti cool style
Dimi Boutselis / Her Campus

Super Cute Houseplants That Are Perfect for Pet Owners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Plants are, in my opinion, some of the best solutions for brightening up a tiny, cramped apartment. However, it can be really difficult to find houseplants that are both suitable for an indoor environment, within a college budget, and safe for you and your pets. Here are five of my favorite non-toxic plant options for when you want to spruce up your space without having to hide them from your furry friends.

Baby Rubber Plant (Peperomia obtusifolia)

While rubber trees are highly toxic, the miniature versions are perfectly safe– and super cute! Personally, I’ve found that this plant is really easy to care for and a perfect addition to any windowsill or desk!

Care: Medium to bright sunlight, water once or twice per week

Cat grass (Dactylis glomerata)

As implied by the name, the only danger of putting out a pot of cat grass is that your pet may love it too much! This plant is commonly sold in pet stores as a treat for your pets. 

Care: Natural light, mist lightly when dry

Angel’s Tears (Soleirolia soleirolii)

This plant goes by many other names, including baby’s tears, Paddy’s wig, and — my personal favorite — “mind-your-own-business” plants. Whatever you choose to call it, this Meditteranean beauty’s trailing vines and tiny white blooms are totally safe for your furry friends.

Care: Bright and filtered light, water every 5-7 days

Purple Waffle Plant (Hemigraphis alternata)

I’ll admit, I had never heard of this plant before stumbling across it while on the hunt for a new bit of greenery. It was love at first sight! This plant is super unique, extremely cute, and has a very cool name. What’s more, it is perfectly safe for you and your pets!

Care: Medium to bright light, keep soil moist

Fluffy Ruffle Fern (Nephrolepis exaltata)

As the newest member of my household, this fern has really brightened up my teeny-tiny apartment. It is perfect as a hanging plant and is apparently very easy to propagate. The more, the merrier!

Care: Indirect light, keep soil moist

So there you have it, folks. Make sure to remember these names as spring rolls around; your pets and your inner interior designer will thank you for it!

Lydia Stalcup

CU Boulder '20

Lydia is a former Collaborations Manager for Her Campus @ CU Boulder. She is currently pursuing her BA in Sociology with a minor in Political Science and is usually stressing over her research. If she's not at her desk, you can almost always find her wandering around Boulder or snuggling with her cat, Kiwi.
Sko Buffs!