This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It’s no secret that the meat industry has a huge negative impact on the environment, as it is one of the world’s largest contributors to greenhouse gas production and water consumption. Reducing your personal meat consumption is one great way to be environmentally sustainable. However, meat also happens to be an excellent source of protein; so, switching to a plant-based diet often comes with the struggle of figuring out how to up your protein intake, especially if you’re trying to bulk up at the same time. Luckily, there are plenty of high-protein vegetarian options available! Here are 13 delicious recipes that will fill you up and help you get the protein you need. 

Mocha Oatmeal

Two of my favorite things are coffee and oatmeal. What better way to start the day than have both together? This recipe by Hurry the Food Up takes under 10 minutes and is made out of cheap, common ingredients — perfect for college students!

Maple Cinnamon Quinoa

If you’re not a big fan of oats, don’t worry — The Spruce Eats also has a tasty maple cinnamon quinoa bowl. Quinoa is high in protein as well as fiber, so this bowl is super filling. It’s also super easy to customize — you can throw in bananas, raisins, blueberries, or whatever else you might have in your pantry.

Apple Pecan Pancakes

Another delicious breakfast is these apple pecan pancakes from The Spruce Eats. Made with soy milk and tofu, and topped with pecans, these are sweet and healthy — and on top of that, they’re vegan too!

Greek Yogurt Berry Parfait

This one might be basic, but it’s very versatile. You can have it for breakfast, lunch, or even just a snack and it’s packed with protein. This recipe from Simply Home Cooked requires just four basic ingredients, and it’s easy to change it up. Plus, these parfaits are easy to prepare ahead of time, so you don’t have to scramble to find time for food between classes.

Whipped Cottage Cheese with Almond Butter and Banana

Another quick and easy pre-prepared snack is this whipped cottage cheese from Babaganosh. It takes just five minutes, and you can mix in pretty much anything you like. The recipe recommends almond or peanut butter and bananas, and this combo is so yummy that it might become your new go-to snack.

Quinoa Bowl

Remember the maple quinoa bowl? Well, it doesn’t just have to be breakfast food. Quinoa can be mixed with almost any ingredients you have on hand, and boom, you have a delicious and filling meal. Here Simply Quinoa gives six healthy quinoa bowl recipes.

Tortilla Soup

One recipe to warm you up during the cold weather is this vegan tortilla soup from Sweet Simple Vegan. With the protein coming from black beans and corn, this veggie-filled soup is delicious and simpler to make than it appears (although you could definitely use this recipe to impress guests). This recipe takes a bit longer than the previous ones to make, but it’s well worth the wait!

Crispy Tofu Nuggets

These crispy tofu nuggets from Cozy Peach Kitchen are also perfect for when you have guests over, because c’mon, what college student doesn’t like nuggets? These are super easy to make and also on the healthier side of the scale since they’re baked instead of fried.

Instant Pot Mexican Pinto Beans

Studying non-stop and don’t have time to worry about dinner? This recipe is perfect for you. With this recipe courtesy of From Valerie’s Kitchen, all you have to do is throw some beans, veggies, and spices into an instant pot, let it cook, and eat whenever you’re ready.

Soy Peanut Noodles

This list wouldn’t be complete without the college student staple: ramen noodles. This is more than just your typical 3 a.m. snack, though. These soy peanut noodles from The Cook Report also have a ton of veggies as well as peanut butter and eggs for a protein boost.

Vanilla Chia Pudding

Looking for a tasty and healthy dessert (or, if you’re like me, another sweet breakfast option)? This vanilla chia pudding from Choosing Chia is a great option. You only need four ingredients and it takes less than five minutes to put it together. This recipe does need to be refrigerated for at least an hour before eating, but the flavor makes up for the wait.

Chocolate Cashew Milkshake

This shake from Hurry the Food Up is another option that could function as a breakfast or a dessert. It takes fewer than 10 minutes to make it, using only five ingredients, and you’ll have finished drinking it in less time than that — it’s that good!

Protein Shake

Last but definitely not least, this protein shake from The Spruce Eats is a perfect way to get your post-workout protein in. Its protein comes from yogurt and beans, and while beans might sound like a strange smoothie ingredient, don’t let that deter you. It tastes fruity and sweet and is perfect for any time of the day.

Whether you’re newly vegetarian or just trying to reduce your meat consumption, keeping up your protein intake at the same time can be daunting. There’s no need to worry about it, though — with a little bit of grocery shopping and some fun recipes, keeping up the healthy diet you need is much easier than you think.

Cara Dulin

CU Boulder '24

Cara is a freshman at the University of Colorado Boulder. In her free time, she enjoys hiking, reading, and baking sweets of any kind.
Sko Buffs!