This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Name: Isabella “Bella” Shelby

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology

Hometown: Westminster, CO

HCCU: What initially drew you to Phi Mu?

BS: I was drawn to Phi Mu because I always had sorority FOMO. My mom was in a sorority, and I always had a lot of girlfriends, but there was something that always kept me from rushing. When Phi Mu started advertising on campus and I saw our philanthropy was Children’s Hospital, I was immediately drawn in. I felt like I could really be myself with this group of girls being tied together by such strong values and care for others.

HCCU: Can you talk a little bit about your role as President of Phi Mu and what made you decide to run for this position?

BS: As a sorority president, I am responsible for a lot of the behind-the-scenes of our chapter. I sign a lot of contracts, book rooms, help people with their membership status, preside at meetings, and a lot of other little things that the chapter needs to run. I wanted to run for president because I love being involved in everything and I have a hard time saying “no”. I love to help my sisters succeed in every aspect of our sorority, and I love getting to work with everyone on the Executive Board.

HCCU: With Phi Mu being the newest sorority at CU, tell me a little bit about what that experience is like.

BS: Being the newest sorority on campus is a little intimidating, but so rewarding. We have the opportunity to make the sorority whatever we want it to be and we can set the tone for what Phi Mu will be for years to come. The Panhellenic community has been so welcoming and kind to our chapter; I couldn’t imagine a better group of women to join.

HCCU: What would you say has been the best part of Phi Mu so far for you?

BS: By far, the best part about Phi Mu is my sisters. I have met some of my very best friends in this sorority, girls who I feel like I’ve known my whole life. I know I could go to anyone with anything, and we would be there to support each other through it. My friends have been there through the highest highs and the lowest lows of this year, and I truly have never found a more supportive community.

HCCU: How would your sisters describe you in three words?

BS: Organized, compassionate, and hopefully funny?

HCCU: So focusing more on just you, are you involved in any other organizations or clubs on campus?

BS: I am a huge science nerd, so most of my time on campus is spent in Gold Biosciences working on my honors thesis for my department!

HCCU: Where’s your favorite place on campus?

BS: My favorite spot on campus by far is Farrand Field. I’ve had so many good afternoons hanging out with my friends and petting all of the dogs that come around.

HCCU: Who was your ultimate childhood celebrity crush?

BS: This is a hard question because I’ve been boy crazy since the day I was born. I would say my original celebrity crush was Edward Cullen, but when I got into middle school and high school it was the obvious choice, Harry Styles.

HCCU: Top 3 Things on your bucket list?

BS: I would love to travel to Asia to visit my family and learn more about the culture.

I want to learn how to skateboard.

I would love to be the front woman in a band.

HCCU: What’s your favorite way to decompress?

BS: I love to read. Young Adult fiction is my guilty pleasure. Any time I have to get out of my own head, I’ll sit down and read an entire book in one sitting.

HCCU: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

BS: In five years, I’m hoping to be in my final year of medical school on my way to becoming a pediatric physician of some sort.

HCCU: Similarly, where do you hope to see Phi Mu in 5 years?

BS: I hope in five years, Phi Mu is working its way up in the Panhellenic community. I hope we are serving our community, making high grades, and still empowering each other to be the best version of ourselves. Most of all, I hope that my sisters continue our culture of passion for our philanthropy, our values, and the success of our sisters.

HCCU: And what advice would you give to any girls wanting to “Go Greek” here at CU?

BS: If I could go back to freshman year, I wish I wouldn’t have been so scared to rush. I was easily intimidated by formal recruitment, and I couldn’t get past that to see the value of a sorority. I wish I knew that I would have been connected with 200+ girls that care about the things I care about and want to help me be the best version of myself. If I could give any advice, it would be to just go for it. Rush and see what happens and what chapters draw you in. When you know you know.

Special thanks to Bella for letting me share her story and show the world how great she is!

All images courtesy of Bella Shelby.

Megan Grote

CU Boulder '21

Megan is currently a senior at CU Boulder, graduating December 2020, pursuing a double major in Communication and Chinese, and minoring in Information Science. Originally from Virginia, Megan grew up overseas in Qatar and loves learning about people and their experiences with the world. Her passions include all things ocean and space related, animals, and introducing others to the curative powers of funky socks.
Sko Buffs!