This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

You’re unmotivated, you just want to lay in bed, you feel like no one cares about you. Did I maybe just call you out? Just maybe.

It is more important now than ever to take care of yourself and evaluate your own needs. I know, it’s hard. If I have to be honest, there have been days when I lay in bed unmotivated and not wanting to do anything. It feels like life is moving so fast, yet so slow. There is so much to do, yet it feels like you’re getting nothing done. It’s a weird feeling. Especially with online school, it’s so easy to stay in the house and be warped into the endless work. It feels like being in a bubble that you’re not allowed to leave. There’s only so much to do outside. If I go out, I end up spending money, and well um this unemployed college student’s bank account ain’t too happy aha. 

woman leaning on door looking out onto the city
Photo by Kinga Cichewicz from Unsplash
With so much time to myself now, I do a lot of self-reflecting. If I have to honest, I have been feeling so sh**ty. I feel alone, unmotivated, the list goes on. But, as I said in my last article “It’s Okay Not To Be Okay” you get to the point of being tired. It’s off-putting to rely on other people for our own happiness. To an extent that may help, but our esteem reaches deeper than that.

For the past couple of years, I’ve been really into personality tests and the love language test. It really helps with discovering yourself and how you operate. It helps with your relationships with others too because it allows you to let them know what you need from them. So, recently I retook the “5 Love Language” test; in chronological order, mine came out to be physical touch (27%), quality time (20%), acts of service (20%), words of affirmation (17%), and receiving gifts (17%). Usually, when people talk about love languages, it’s usually couples discussing how they can strengthen their relationship. However, not a lot of people talk about how it can be beneficial for yourself. 

Broken heart
Photo by Kelly Sikkema from Unsplash
Recently, I found that self-love and self-care make you feel so good. It feels so good to feel your best at the core. So here are some things I do for myself to practice my love languages:

• Physical touch: that can’t really happen, so I modified it by starting to go to the gym to get some physical activity Quality time: I watch movies/shows I really want to watch, go shopping, take walks
  • Acts of service: I clean the house- it makes myself and roommates feel good
  • Words of affirmation: I get myself out of bed and hype myself up to get that dreadful task done
  • Receiving gifts: I buy myself flowers so that my desk can be more cheerful

It’s the little things. It adds up. It’s not selfish to love yourself.

XOXO

Tracy Huynh

CU Boulder '23

Tracy is a sophomore at the Leeds School of Business. In her free time, she enjoys binge-watching Netflix and going shopping. If she is not studying, she can be found with a fuzzy blanket and fuzzy socks in bed or in the home decor section of any store daydreaming.
Sko Buffs!