This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Despite the terrible weather, spring is approaching, and so are summer internships, so those who haven’t gotten one lined up are scrambling at the last minute. I am one of those people. And while internships are not necessary for a future career, getting one looks great on your resume and can give you an insight into what working in your field is all about. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s freaking out about finding experience (any experience), so here are some tips to help you out throughout the process. 

1. Set a schedule.

I’m not sure what’s worse – procrastinating on applying to any sort of internship because of stress or being stressed out by applying to too many internships. Instead of panicking, apply to a couple of internships on your less busy days. This way you’re always doing something but it won’t be overkill. 

1. Prepare for interviews proactively. 

Recently I got an interview with Microsoft. My problem? I was putting off practicing interview problems because I didn’t anticipate getting an interview with a big company. Now I’m cramming Leetcode at the last minute. I’d advise you to prepare for interviews in your free time but a little at a time so you don’t overwhelm yourself.

1. Meditate. 

If you’re a listicle addict like me, reading ‘meditate’ as one of the points gets annoying. Meditation isn’t the answer to everything in life. However, it is one of the easiest ways to destress quickly. When you start getting anxious, go to a meditation app (I like Insight Timer) and take five minutes to focus on your breath. It’s a lifesaver. 

1. Get some sleep. 

Internships are important but don’t lose sleep over them. Literally and figuratively. First of all, internships aren’t the end of the world, but getting actual sleep helps out a ton with mental health. Sleep helps out with anxiety and depression. It’ll also help out with creativity and problem-solving skills, which depending on your field of study is essential to doing well in your interviews. 

1. Hang out with friends. 

Humans are naturally social creatures, and sitting in front of a computer all the time is unhealthy for your mental health. Get some quality time with your friends and talk about life. I do recommend not talking about internships too much though (I’m definitely guilty of it).

1. Don’t forget about your classes.

You may be dreaming about your professional career, but you’re still a student, and those responsibilities still exist. This sounds stressful (and it is), but when you focus on your school a little more, it takes your mind off of the whole entire internship thing, and sometimes gives you more perspective.

Internship applications can be one of the most stressful parts of a college, but with the right tools, they’re doable. Good luck hunting!

Sko Buffs!