This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Midterms can be hard, and it can be even harder to find time for yourself in between studying, group meetings, and projects, but now more than ever is when you need to take care of yourself! Being in a healthy headspace is crucial, and making sure you’re taking care of yourself is the key to doing well in midterm season.

Step one: make sure you’re getting enough sleep!

Source// Pinterest

Studies have proven that a tired brain isn’t a working brain, so if you’re too tired to keep studying, call a break and take a nap!

Step two: your brain needs study breaks!

Source// Pinterest

It can be tough to take a study break when you have multiple midterms coming up, but if you can’t focus don’t keep trying to force it. Take a 10-minute break doing something unrelated to studying. Whether it be scrolling on social media, stretching, or getting a snack, give your brain a break.

Step three: eat food!

Source// Google

You’re stressed and might make the argument that you aren’t hungry, or don’t have time to eat, but you do. You need food for energy and if you’re denying your body energy studying is only going to be harder. So pause, eat something even if it’s just a granola bar.

P.S. Whole Foods has a really great selection of granola, including my new favorite Apple cereal bar, check it out!

Step four: socialize!

Source// Google

Studying in a group can shed some light on difficult topics, and it’s no fun being alone. Go meet some new people, and get on top of your classes!

Step five: “Treat Yo Self”

Source// Google

When you’re done with your midterms you deserve to treat yourself, whether that means a nice dinner out or a movie night in. You’ve made it through midterms, you deserve it!

Katelynn Hughes

CU Boulder '21

Katelynn is currently a senior at CU Boulder, double majoring in Neuroscience and Psychology with a minor in Business. She is an undergraduate student researcher studying alcohol use in adolescence and has worked with public policy around juvenile justice. She currently serves as the Events Director for the CU chapter on the Senior Exec board. In her free time she loves movie nights with her girl squad and cuddling with her poodle.
Sko Buffs!