This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It’s almost midterm season and it’s super important to let your voice be heard by voting. There are so many things on the ballot that it can seem daunting to try to make informed decisions about the things you’re voting on. Below is a brief guide to getting started with the upcoming elections with some additional resources that will help you get a better idea of what/who you are voting for!

First of all… Your Vote Matters! Here’s Why:

1. Redistricting is set to take place in 2021 and will be determined largely by the state politicians who are elected this year, meaning the effects of these midterms could be felt until 2030! For more info on redistricting click here.

2. All 435 seats in the House of Representatives are being contested this November. A party needs to win 218 seats to have control of the House so it’s super important to vote for who you want to be represented by.

3. Millennials are the largest, most diverse, and most progressive generation yet they have the least amount of representatives.

4. We live in a country where we have the privilege of being able to vote and have a voice in our government so we should all take advantage of that to let our voices be heard!

Colorado Midterms:

Not from Colorado? That’s okay! You can register to vote in Colorado without needing a Colorado Driver’s license. You can also be registered to vote in more than one state as long as you only vote in one state. Go to govotecolorado.com to check your registration status or to register to vote.

So who’s running for election in Colorado?

The 2018 midterms will determine who takes many positions including U.S. House Representatives, Governor, State Senate, House, and Supreme Court, and local judges among other offices. The U.S. House of Representative candidates are voted on by district, to find out what district you’re in and who you’ll be voting on click here. The smaller, more local positions are equally, if not more, important. Some brief information about candidates in these races can be found here.

What else are we voting on in Colorado?

In addition to voting on people to fill office positions, we will be voting on a number of amendments to the Colorado constitution and propositions. These are important because they will most likely affect your daily life or the life of someone you know. Some of the amendments include lowering the age requirement for members of the State Legislature and determining funding for public schools. Visit http://leg.colorado.gov/bluebook to access a FREE book of 2018 State Ballot Information which includes arguments for and against amendments and propositions on the Colorado Ballot and recommendations on retention of judges.

This election could mark a turning point in U.S. politics. It is so important to go out and vote to make sure that you’re voice is heard and to help increase your representation in our government!

Thank you to Pinterest for all the images!

Abby Tubman

CU Boulder '21

Abby has lived in Longmont, Colorado for most of her life. She is currently a sophomore at CU Boulder majoring in Integrative Physiology with a certificate in Public Health. Currently, she works for a nonprofit organization called the NYAGI Project that works to improve prenatal care in remote areas of the world. When she's not in class you can find Abby at the local Starbucks or spending time outdoors.
Sko Buffs!