Wellness

Four Easy Recipes With No Meat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Eating plant-based meals can be difficult. In a world where meat is everywhere, eating meals without it can be challenging. While making the decision to skip it can be a difficult one, actually preparing meals doesn’t have to be. Whether you’re the next Gordon Ramsey or someone who isn’t sure how to turn on the oven, these recipes will work for you.

Spring Rolls

You’ll notice this recipe lacks measurements, and it’s because it’s that easy. You choose what to add, and the variations are endless. It is without a doubt the quickest meal I make, and definitely one of the tastiest. If you want to follow a more structured recipe, check this one out. 

You will need:

• Rice paper
  • Cabbage
  • Carrots
  • Cucumber
  • Onion
  • Jalapeno 
  • Tofu (cooked according to your preference.)
  • Peanut butter 
  • Soy sauce
  • Sriracha

To prepare:

First, chop up all of your veggies into small strips. Then, dip your rice sheet into some water. Place your veggies along with your tofu in the center. Fold in the top and the bottom of the sheet and roll. For the sauce, microwave two parts peanut butter to one part soy sauce and add sriracha to taste. If you’re looking for a simple tofu recipe, here’s the one I follow. 

Burrito Bowl 

Much like the spring rolls, you’ll notice this recipe lacks measurements. It’s because you do not need them. The variety of veggies, flavors, and sauces you can add make this a different meal every time are endless and it never fails to be just as good. This is a recipe where you can throw things in a bowl and call it a day, but if you do want a more specific guide to follow, here’s a recipe you can use. 

You will need:

• Beans of choice
  • Cooked rice
  • Sauteed veggies (I usually use red and yellow bell peppers, zucchini and red onion.)
  • Sour cream 
  • Guacamole (avocado, jalapeno, onion, tomato, lime, salt/pepper.)
  • Lettuce
  • Corn
  • Hot sauce of choice.

To assemble:
Warm up your beans. While that happens, throw your veggies into a skillet with olive oil, lemon, and salt and pepper until they caramelize. Add the rice, beans, corn, and veggies into the bowl. To prepare the guacamole, simply chop half of a jalapeno, ¼ of a tomato and onion to your liking, then mash with half of an avocado. Add the juice of half of a lime and salt and pepper to taste. Top bowl with the guacamole, lettuce, sour cream and add hot sauce.

Cauliflower Tacos

My roommate Jordan made these the day I moved in and I have been obsessed with them ever since. They are so good and filling, but they don’t take very long to make. They require very few ingredients, yet taste like they’re straight out of a restaurant.

According to her, you will need:

• A head of cauliflower
  • Seasonings: cumin, cajun spices, garlic pepper, salt/pepper
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • The juice of one lime 
  • Corn tortillas
  • Chopped lettuce 
  • Diced onions
  • Salsa or hot sauce

To prepare: Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Then, break up your head of cauliflower into small pieces. Coat the cauliflower with olive oil. Season to taste. After, drizzle with the juice of one lime. Place in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until crispy. Once cooked, heat up your tortillas. Then, simply assemble your tacos, add toppings and enjoy. 

Cauliflower
Kristine Mahan / Spoon
Vodka Pasta

This recipe requires a little more effort than the rest, but it is so worth it. It is such a treat and it is actually quite simple to make. When this dish broke the internet, I wasn’t sure why, but after trying it, I definitely understood. This is where you can find the recipe I use as inspiration. I don’t follow it exactly, as you might notice below.

You will need:

• 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Three tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 tube of tomato paste
  • ⅓ cup of vodka 
  • 1 lb of your desired noodle
  • ½ cup of parmesan cheese (or as much as your heart desires!)
  • 2 tbsp 
  • To taste: salt, pepper, red pepper, dried oregano, dried thyme
  • Chopped parsley to taste

Begin by heating water in a pot so you can later cook the pasta. While it boils, add your oil, onion to a pan at medium heat and allow them to become translucent in color. When this happens, add your seasonings (except the salt and pepper) and cook for a couple of minutes. Then, your garlic. Add the tomato paste and cook for a few more minutes while stirring. Add the vodka, allow it to simmer, then add your heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper. Stir for only about a minute and turn off your heat. 

At this point salt your water (generously, because we’ll be using it later) and add your pasta. Cook your pasta for two minutes less than it says on the packaging. Drain your pasta and add it to your sauce. To incorporate, use about a half cup of pasta water as a binding agent. Add your butter and allow it to melt. Give it a good stir. Finally, serve and top with your cheese and parsley, along with some more pepper flakes.

Meatless recipes do not have to be boring. In fact, they are sometimes even more delicious than you think. (Exhibit A, that pasta.) Eating meals without meat also doesn’t have to be hard. These meals aren’t skimping on flavor despite how quick they are. There are many reasons for eating less meat, and these meals are such an easy way to start that journey. 

Noelia Salazar

CU Boulder '23

Noelia is majoring in international affairs with a minor in communications. She is passionate about social change and bringing light to topics not talked about enough. She loves books, makeup, and coffee. In her free time, she's probably rewatching Gilmore Girls.