Desk setup?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk setup?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Culture > News

Everything You Need to Know to Join HCCU This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Are you interested in becoming a writer for Her Campus CU Boulder? Read on to learn about our organization and how you can apply! 

Who We Are:

Our National Branch:

Her Campus is the #1 new-media brand for the empowered college woman. Written entirely by the world’s top college journalists – with 10,000+ contributors and counting – HerCampus.com features national Style, Beauty, Health, Love, Life, Career, Entertainment, News, DIY, LGBTQ+, High School, and After College content supplemented by local content from 350+ campus chapters nationwide and in ten countries.

Her Campus serves as a career-launching point for its team of college journalists. Since joining the Her Campus Team, members have been offered jobs and internships with Glamour, Vogue, Buzzfeed, Vanity Fair, Seventeen, Marie Claire, Harper’s Bazaar, People, The Huffington Post, Teen Vogue, InStyle, Esquire, O magazine, MTV, The Washington Post, Digitas, Ogilvy, and many more.

In addition to being an online publication, Her Campus has expanded into hosting events such as Her Conference, College Fashion Week, and creating influencer platforms such as InfluenceHer Collective and Her20s.

The CU Boulder Chapter:

Her Campus CU Boulder is a division of Her Campus specific to CU Boulder and it’s community and has been present in CU’s community for the previous 5 academic years.

Currently, Her Campus CU Boulder is operated by Kelley Laxton (Editor-in-Chief), Emma D’Arcy (Director of Chapter Branding), Maeve Reilly (Directory of Chapter Recruitment and Management), and Katelynn Hughes (Director of Events). 

Kelley Laxton and Emma D’Arcy are recognized as Her Campus CU Boulder Campus Correspondents by Her Campus HQ.

Her Campus CU Boulder (HCCU) functions as a website that publishes articles with content that relates specifically to CU Boulder, campus life, and collegiate-age women. HCCU’s mission is to provide the women in our college community with empowering, relatable content throughout the school year. Our members write on a variety of topics related to the CU Boulder community, national news, the college life/experience, and more. HCCU is a great way to explore skills in writing, content creation, editing, events, and social media. HCCU brings engaging and entertaining content to the CU community and beyond, representing CU Boulder in a positive, diverse, and inclusive light, and engages with the student body through content that is relevant to their college life.

What We Do:

At HCCU, we write and publish articles on the Her Campus CU Boulder website focused around topics that relate to college women. We interview empowering figures, local business, clubs around campus, and more, to inform our readers about what makes our university and Boulder, Colorado special. We also write feature stories about fashion and beauty trends, fitness routines, politics, the best restaurants around town, and more. Throughout the year, we have the opportunity to partner with companies and write reviews about their products and services. 

Alongside writing, our magazine utilizes social media, graphic design, and photography. Our members help run six social media platforms including YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest, Tik Tok, Facebook, and Twitter. We design our own graphics and take photos to be used on our website and social media platforms.

Why You Should Join:

Besides meeting cool people, building your resume, and improving your writing skills, click HERE to learn why our members joined! 

The editorial team will work with you to help find your voice. You will gain experience in writing for an online publication and have all of your articles published on the HCCU website. 

We offer many opportunities for members who are looking to build upon their leadership skills. We have an executive board that manages social media, editorial, event planning and chapter management. You could even become Editor-in-Chief one day. Learn more about our executive board HERE

Where We Meet:

Meetings will be on Zoom and sometimes in-person for bonding events.

When We Meet:

The HCCU chapter meets twice a month on Zoom with one to two in-person meetings a month. Each meeting will include magazine updates and reminders, writer workshops, guest speakers, and more. We will also hold in-person bonding events throughout the year.

How to Join:

We encourage everyone to apply, regardless of gender identity. You must be enrolled at CU as a  graduate, undergraduate, or part-time student. 

To apply, fill out our application HERE

You will need to provide a writing sample, but don’t worry, if you don’t have any writing experience this is the place to learn! 

Deadline to apply: Sept. 12

Be Involved Fair and Informational Meeting:

Are you interested but want more information? 

Come see us at the Be Involved Fair on August 25 from 2-4. We will have a Zoom meeting available for you to jump on a call with us and ask questions! The link will be available during the Be Involved Fair. 

Join us for an informational Zoom meeting on August 26 from 7-8 p.m. We will go over everything you need to know about HCCU and answer any more questions you have. You will find a Zoom link to the meeting on our Instagram or it will be sent in an email! 

Can’t make the meeting? No worries! We will record the meeting and upload it onto our YouTube channel. You can visit our channel HERE

Please email hc.cuboulder@hercampus.com with any questions!

Follow Us on Social for More Updates!

Instagram: @hercampuscuboulder 

YouTube: Her Campus CU Boulder 

Tik Tok: @hercampuscuboulder 

Twitter: @HerCampusCU  

Facebook: @hercampuscuboulder 

Kelley is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus CU Boulder. She is currently a senior majoring in journalism and minoring in sports media. In her free time, she likes to workout at her local CrossFit gym, hang out at coffee shops, and explore the mountains.