This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

The date of September 23rd, the official “first day of fall” has just recently passed, which means Fall is about to be in full swing these upcoming weeks. For CU Boulder students, this means cooler temperatures, indescribable colors around campus, and attempting to complete the last of summer activities such as climbing fourteeners, tubing the creek, and going camping before the snow comes. While Fall brings beautiful views of Boulder and pumpkin everything, there is something else that comes along as the season occurs that students dread – midterms. 

Midterms occur over a period of time between September and October at CU, and for some reason, professors seemingly get together to plot and schedule their tests all in the same week or even on the same day. While it may be nice to complete the series of tests in one week, it can be extremely stressful at the same time – especially for new students. For those out there currently struggling in the midst of it all, here are some bright sides/tips to get through the ghastly period of the school year that is known as midterms:

• Midterms are the perfect time for you to scope out that new coffee shop you’ve been meaning to go to. Even if it’s the newest Starbucks that’s just been built, going to a new place and trying new drinks and snacks always adds a subtle excitement to studying for hours on end.
  • Midterms give you an excuse to treat yourself to some school supply shopping! If you’re one who likes to color code and highlight, try buying some fun supplies to brighten up your studying time. 
  • Office hours are a must!! Even if it’s just the smallest question, your teacher will acknowledge the fact that you went to the effort to show up. While they may sometimes seem unnecessary, they will never have a bad effect on your grade.
  • Group study sessions are extremely helpful. Even if you are one who prefers to study alone, getting together with students in your classes can be extremely helpful because you are able to gather different ways of thinking about the subject, and they may know answers to questions you might have. It’s also a great way to meet new people!
  • Don’t be afraid to take a break and do something fun. While you may stress out about studying as much as possible, it’s good to give yourself a break every couple hours to let the information you’ve studied sink in. Whether it’s watching some Netflix, getting something to eat, going for a run or even doing some laundry, breaks relieve a lot of unnecessary stress.

Although midterms can get in the way of the fun parts of college, let it be a comforting reminder that everyone goes through them together, and with these tips, you can make your experience a bit more enjoyable!

I'm currently a sophomore Broadcast/News major and Business minor and hail from Houston, TX. Lover of outdoor activities, eating, cats, and Delta Gamma.
Sko Buffs!