Life > Experiences

“Cozy” Games in a Productivity-Centered World 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

While I love being in college, making time for yourself as a college student can be extremely hard. On top of this, figuring out how not to feel guilty for being unproductive takes forever to master. Luckily, around 2021, I found a way to deal with the pull to relax while still progressing toward something: cozy games.

The genre of “cozy game” is relatively new. Cozy games are characterized by being open-world and non-violent, all while still being challenging. Some common examples are games like The Sims,  Animal Crossing, Unpacking, A Little to the Left and Stardew Valley

Despite games like this having existed for a long time, they’ve recently become more popular as the world moved through the pandemic, namely credited to the release of Animal Crossing: New Horizons. These games provide an alternative for people who want to be a part of the gaming sphere without the stereotypical associations of violent or overly competitive nature. Don’t get me wrong — all video games can be fun for anyone. But having a different avenue of pursuing games that don’t have the typical negative connotations or toxic communities is a great thing. They lower the barrier to entry within gaming and open it up to people who may have otherwise never pursued it. 

Pond GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Stardew Valley gameplay.

Although these are ‘wholesome’ games, many of them still have underlying objectives, whether it’s solving a puzzle, managing a town or going on an adventure. They also allow for collaboration through co-ops and coordination on communication outlets like Instagram, TikTok and Discord. 

For me, cozy games offered a means to participate in gaming and deal with stress. As I went through college, I realized that I wasn’t taking time for myself. At first, I thought it was simply because of how busy I was. My Google calendar barely had any white space, I was on campus for hours every day, and the only things I could bring myself to read were my textbooks. However, I realized that a large part of me did everything I could to keep myself busy. I would pile on things to feel productive because I feared being “lazy” or losing valuable time. 

Unpacking Game GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Unpacking gameplay.

Cozy games, at least the ones I enjoy the most, have helped me remain “productive” while also feeling relaxed. They give me something to do that doesn’t just feel like work but instead feels like a calm break from everything that stresses me out. Like reading a book or writing, it offers another opportunity to feel relaxed throughout the week. This has proved to be really beneficial and important to me throughout my undergraduate career. Being able to relax, while still making an active effort toward a goal, is so important to me as someone who thrives on making progress. It also helped me not feel the need to overschedule myself or add more things than necessary just to feel busy. 
Although gaming is just a hobby, I’ve found that playing this genre in particular has helped me cope with my stress. Some of my favorites are Stardew Valley, The Sims, and Animal Crossing. If you are interested in video games, I highly recommend these titles for your next cozy night in.

Samantha is an Editorial Assistant and Contributing Writer for CU Boulder's chapter of Her Campus. In her editorial position, she edits articles for clarity and provides guidance to other writers so they can improve their skills. As a contributing writer, she submits two articles per month, often writing in depth about social phenomena. Aside from Her Campus, Samantha is a senior at CU Boulder, double majoring in philosophy and sociology. She's currently working on an Honors Thesis in philosophy and hopes to go to law school after graduating in May 2024. She is involved in campus organizations like the Miramontes Arts and Sciences Program, the CU LA Program, and the Honors Program. This semester, she’s a mentor for learning assistants as an LA Mentor. Outside of a school setting, Samantha enjoys crocheting, reading, and writing. Overall, she’s very quiet, and her hobbies reflect that. She can usually be found with heaps of yarn or her nose buried in a book, silently enjoying her time alone. In addition to writing as a member of Her Campus, she enjoys writing short stories and pieces about her life. One of her biggest goals is to publish a book of stories and pieces that almost act as a memoir.