A Complete Guide to Creating a Cooler for Fraternity Formal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It’s mid-fall and you’ve been texting the same guy in Phi Kappa Tau for some time now. The day comes and he finally asks you to go to his formal! If this is your first formal, it is important to note that the guys “usually” pay for everything such as the hotel room and the alcohol. As the date, it is expected that you make him a cooler (or shotski, Big Gulp, etc.) as a thank you and to celebrate a fun weekend with your date!

To help you get started, I’ve put together step-by-step instructions on how to make an awesome, fun, and long-lasting cooler that will impress your date!

What you’ll need:

• Cooler (little to no curves)

• Spackle

• Sandpaper

• Paint primer

• Wax paper/Tissue paper

• Painter’s tape

• Pencils

• Sharpies

• Paint

• Brushes

• Mod Podge

• Booze

Step 1: Buy a cooler

This step seems pretty self-explanatory, but if you’re like me, you’ll probably buy the wrong cooler (as if there were a “wrong cooler”). You want a cooler that comes WITHOUT grooves or lines on the side. The smoother the cooler is, the easier it will be to sand (yes, you have to sand it). Usually Igloo and Coleman are some good brands of coolers.

Step 2: Spackle your cooler

Spackle is used to fill in any logos that your cooler might have. The spackle will fill in any holes making the cooler level on all sides. Let the Spackle dry completely before sanding.

Step 3: Sand your cooler

Sanding your cooler is crucial if you want your paint to stick! I invested in an electric sander because I’ve attended more than one formal (and bought a cooler with lines, once again DO NOT do that). I also bought different level sanding gradients and started with a tougher sandpaper. As the cooler got smoother, I moved to a lighter sandpaper to refine it.

Step 4: Priming your cooler

After you’ve sanded, wash your cooler off with warm water and dry completely. I recommend using a paint primer that adheres to plastic (I use the spray paint primer, Krylon). Make sure to apply a few even coats to your cooler before you start painting.

Step 5: Brainstorm designs

Before I begin painting, I usually figure out my designs beforehand. Designs are usually things that have meaning to your date! Whether it be their name as a beer logo, their fraternity, or their favorite football team, the possibilities are endless and it is all up to you how you want to customize. Once you have your ideas, print them out if you plan to trace them onto your cooler (we will get to how to do this in Step 6).

Photos of my date and I as Bitmojis!

Step 6: Trace your designs

Once you’ve decided on your designs, you can choose to go freehanded or trace your designs (I like to trace my designs because it looks cleaner than freehanding). If you’re tracing, you are going to put a piece of wax/tissue paper over your printed copy, and trace the design in pencil. Next, take your piece of wax paper that you traced and tape it to the cooler. Go over the pencil in sharpie and remove the wax paper. Finally, go over the design once more in sharpie to get finer lines.

Step 7: PAINT

It is finally time to break out your paint and get colorful! It is very important to paint one side at a time so that your cooler dries completely and doesn’t smudge. Tape off any sides or places you are not painting to prevent any unwanted paint on a certain side. Make sure to get as close as you can to the bottom so your paint job looks complete. Don’t be afraid to get creative with your colors and designs! For a cleaner look, paint on multiple coats after letting the paint dry.

Photos of my first cooler!

Step 8: Seal the cooler

This is yet another crucial step so that your paint doesn’t chip. Apply a coat of Mod Podge or spray sealer to all the painted sides of your cooler. Wait the recommended amount of time and repeat, giving your cooler 2 coats of sealant.

Step 9: Add the booze!

At this point, your cooler has dried for at least 24 hours and looks fabulous. You can now add all the booze you will need for a fun-filled weekend. My favorite part of the cooler making process is seeing your date’s reaction to all your hard work; it’s priceless!

Now you have everything you need in order to make a crazy cool cooler that will last many years. Formal is a great time for you to show off your creativity, while making your date feel appreciated. Have fun and be safe!!

Your girl,

Nikki B.

Nikki Blum

CU Boulder '20

My name is Nikki Blum and I'm a Junior at CU Boulder majoring in Marketing. I'm from Colorado and I love to run, shop, and hang out with friends! When I'm not in school, I run my own company called Nikki B's College Tees where make custom tailgate/game day t-shirts and sell to college students all over the country! My business is my pride and joy and I hope to one day work in a career that combines fashion and entrepreneurship.
Sko Buffs!