Emmrick Mccadden-Hot Sauce
Emmrick Mccadden-Hot Sauce
Emmrick Mccadden / Spoon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

By the time I was inhaling ghost peppers, there was no turning back. I have a problem, and it’s not going to end. Half of my fridge space has been taken up by hot sauces, peppers, and salsas. My go-to snack as a little girl was plain, roasted Thai chiles. And can you blame me? What would the world be without spicy food? Just the idea of not being able to eat spicy food breaks my heart. Because spicy isn’t a flavor. It’s a goddamn lifestyle. 

Here are some of my favorite hot sauces, in no particular order, if you want to take the dive as well.

Voodoo Prince Death Mamba

My favorite hot sauce! It has that sweet, fruity taste that doesn’t overpower the sauce’s smokiness. The ghost pepper is my favorite pepper by a lot so the fact that the sauce actually tastes like it makes it a winner. 

Mrs. Renfro’s Ghost Pepper Salsa

Salsa counts as a hot sauce, and I don’t eat chips unless it’s with this salsa. I found out what true spiciness was when I got a scoop of this tomato-based salsa. It brought me to (happy) tears. It also brought me some heartburn, but tums are relatively cheap! And it tastes as good as it is spicy.

Bacon Me Crazy

I was super, duper skeptical about this sauce because I want versatility in a hot sauce. And I don’t want to make everything taste like bacon. To my surprise, it doesn’t taste like fake bacon. It has the distinct taste of Carolina Reaper peppers, which the company actually invented, and there’s only a hint of bacon. I’m never having plain eggs again.

Cholula

This might be the first one most of our readers know because, duh, it’s Cholula, but this is my favorite popular hot sauce. It makes tobacco look like water in terms of flavor. It takes your Mexican food from a 10 to a 100 (Mexican food will never be less than a 10).

Sriracha

I love Sriracha. I love it on ramen, burgers, pasta, eggs, pho, stir-fry, and everything else I eat as a college student. I even sat down and watched the documentary on Sriracha. And if you’re not a fan of extremely spicy foods (shame on you!), you’ll still have no problem with Sriracha.

So, try them out! I dare you.

Maya Douglas

CU Boulder '22

Maya is a senior at CU Boulder studying computer science and philosophy. In her free time, you'll find her listening to music on campus or going out with her friends.
Sko Buffs!