This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I don’t know about you all, but to me, fall means apple cider galore! I’ve never been someone who loves chocolate, so my go-to is always some type of warm cider. Now that fall is finally here, here are some wonderful apple cider recipes for you to try at home and share with friends!

Slow Cooker Apple Cider

Ingredients:

8 gala apples

10 cups water

4 sticks cinnamon

1 tbsp cloves

1 tsp allspice

½ cup brown sugar

Instructions:

Core, peel, and dice apples. Place them in the slow cooker. Add water along with cinnamon, cloves, and allspice. Cook on high for 3-4 hours (low heat) or 4-5 hours (high heat). Cook until apples are tender.

Add brown sugar then mash apples and continue to cook for 1-2 hours on low heat.

Strain before serving.

Caramel Apple Cider

Ingredients:

1 cup water

1 bag mulled spice

Whipped cream

Caramel

For cinnamon syrup:

½ cup white sugar

½ cup brown sugar

1 cup water

1 tbsp cinnamon

Instructions:

Heat water in a microwave for 2 minutes. Steep spices for 1-2 minutes.

Add 4 tbsp of cinnamon syrup.

Top with whipped cream and caramel.

For cinnamon syrup:

Bring water and sugar to a boil and stir in cinnamon.

Keep syrup in the fridge for up to one month.

Mulled Cider

Ingredients:

1 orange

1 lemon

10 apples

1 tbsp ground cinnamon

1 small piece ginger, peeled and sliced

1 tsp allspice

12 cloves

1tsp vanilla extract

¾ cup brown sugar

Instructions:

Peel the zest off the orange and lemon, being careful not to peel off the white pith (as this is very bitter). Cut all of the white pith off and discard, then cut the orange and lemon into slices (don’t worry about the seeds — they’ll be sieved out later).

Cut the apples into quarters.

Place the orange and lemon slices and peels into the slow-cooker pot along with the apples, cinnamon, ginger, all spice, cloves, vanilla extract and sugar. Pour in enough cold water to cover everything.

Turn the slow cooker to high, place the lid on and cook for three hours.

After three hours, use a potato masher to mash the fruit into the water, then place the lid back on and cook for a further 30-60 minutes.

Strain the liquid through a sieve into a large jug and serve immediately.

Alternatively, you can cool, cover and refrigerate until needed. Simply reheat in a pan when ready to serve.

Chai Spiced Apple Cider

Ingredients:

4 cups apple cider

1 (1-inch) whole piece ginger, peeled

2 whole cinnamon sticks

8 whole cloves

6 whole cardamom pods

4 whole black peppercorns

1 whole star anise

1/2 whole vanilla bean, sliced in half lengthwise

1 cup whipped cream

1 tablespoon maple syrup

Ground cinnamon, for topping

Instructions:

In a 2-quart saucepan, combine apple cider with ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom pods, peppercorns, star anise, and vanilla bean. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 15 minutes until fragrant.

Strain the cider and divide between two mugs. Fold the maple syrup into the whipped cream, then dollop it into each mug. Finish with a sprinkle of cinnamon.

I hope you enjoy these cider recipes while everyone gets ready for spooky season!

Katelynn Hughes

CU Boulder '21

Katelynn is currently a senior at CU Boulder, double majoring in Neuroscience and Psychology with a minor in Business. She is an undergraduate student researcher studying alcohol use in adolescence and has worked with public policy around juvenile justice. She currently serves as the Events Director for the CU chapter on the Senior Exec board. In her free time she loves movie nights with her girl squad and cuddling with her poodle.
Sko Buffs!