An Unhinged Review of Vanderpump Rules Season 11 So Far

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It’s been almost a year since “Scandoval” rocked the reality TV world in March 2023. Tom Sandoval’s affair with Raquel Leviss ended his nine-year relationship with Ariana Madix. While we’ve seen cheating and lies throughout reality TV history, this affair was distinct due to Leviss and Madix’s longtime friendship.   

Season 11 of Vanderpump Rules premiered Jan. 30 with an episode titled “Notes on a Scandal,” and episode two, “The Ultimate Betrayal,” premiered the following week. The season began filming three months after “Scandoval.” 

In episode one, Tom Sandoval is not revealed until the end of the episode, which makes sense as the viewers would be turned off by seeing a Sandoval-focused episode right out of the gate. Episode one gives us a glimpse into what the cast members have done since the last filming, with James Kennedy and his girlfriend Ally buying a house, Madix’s introduction of her new boyfriend, and the state of Katie Maloney and Tom Schwartz’s relationship. 

Episode two is Tom Sandovals comeback episode, mainly focusing on his justification for Scandoval and how it has changed him. Sandoval is focused on winning back not only the viewers but the cast members’ friendship, all while poking jabs at Madix. The most intriguing part of the episode is the dynamic of Madix and Sandoval living together despite the affair. Due to not being able to sell their house, Madix and Sandoval use their assistant as a go-between within the house. While we have yet to see the former couple come face to face, it was unnerving to watch their poor assistant juggle this dynamic. 

The first two episodes delivered everything viewers have come to expect from the beloved reality series and it is clear that the cast’s issues are far from over. It will be interesting to see how their story unfolds as the season progresses. Below are a few predictions I have for what we might see in the upcoming season.

• Tom Sandoval & Tom Schwartz 

The show has already started laying out a friendship redemption arc between Sandoval and Schwartz, with the men meeting to talk for the first time in person in episode two. During the meeting, Schwartz tries to emphasize to Sandoval how much his actions have hurt their business at the bar that they co-own, Schwartz and Sandy’s. As per usual, Schwartz is a pushover and idolizes Sandoval, while Sandoval talks in circles long enough to confuse Schwartz into starting to forgive him. Schwartz later shows up at Sandoval’s birthday party with a cake. I imagine we will see this dramatic duo back to their previous tomfoolery in no time. 

• Lala Kent Turning on Ariana Madix 

During the season 10 reunion, Kent vigorously defended Madix and viciously attacked Leviss and Sandoval for their affair. At one point, Kent said Sandoval “is a f–king narcissist. Everyone needs to be warned about this person – like, this is a dangerous human being.” We are already starting to see cracks in Kent’s and Madix’s friendship, which I suspect we will continue to see throughout the season. In episode one, Kent confronts Madix about the state of their friendship. We also see Kent send a voice message to Leviss, reaching out to see how she is doing following the affair’s fallout. In episode two, Kent questions Madix as to why she won’t let Sandoval have a birthday party at their house, which the former couple is still trying to sell. Kent also questions Madix’s refusal to sell her portion of the house to Sandoval. Kent’s former partner previously cheated on her, but Kent did not receive the massive amount of support that Madix did, and Kent seems to be resentful of Madix. In a preview for the upcoming season, viewers see Kent say, “I’ve never experienced someone who gets cheated on, and suddenly she becomes God.”

• Ariana Madix Being Vilified 

It’s no secret that Madix profited off of “Scandoval” with of reports of gains nearly $10 million. From follower gain, endorsement deals, paid appearances, and even her own “Team Ariana” merch brand, Madix was able to turn a massive profit from the affair. Viewers already see castmates like Kent envious of Madix’s affair profit, but I assume more tension will rise between the cast and Madix. In both episodes released, Madix refuses to acknowledge Schwartz despite his attempts at communication. Madix has previously said she refuses to talk to anyone who interacts with Sandoval, but this will be complicated with such an intermingled friend group that is under contract to film together. I suspect tensions around Madix’s staunch opinion of Sandoval will rattle some of the group dynamics. 
As always, I think we will see a variety of drama this season, the majority of which will be centered around Sandoval and Madix, but nothing as earth-shattering as previous seasons. Viewers can anticipate more surprises, scandals, and theatrics that make Vanderpump Rules a guilty pleasure for so many.

Aspen Bentley is a contributing writer for Her Campus at the University of Colorado-Boulder chapter. This is her first year being a Her Campus member. Aspen enjoys writing everything from politics to lifestyle pieces and she is especially interested in the environment and sustainability. Aspen is a senior journalism student and communications minor at CU Boulder and will graduate in 2024. She was a delegate for the University of Colorado at the 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Scotland. Beyond Her Campus and CU Boulder, Aspen works at a local pet store in Boulder. In her free time, Aspen enjoys writing, spending time with pets and friends, horseback riding, travel, and environmental advocacy. Aspen has three dogs, a cat, and a gecko. Aspen usually spends her weekends hiking and camping with her friends and dogs. Aspen is so excited to be a member of Her Campus and can't wait to see where it takes her.