This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I just received a $60 parking ticket in the mail. I just received a $60 parking ticket in the mail from my university parking police. I just received a $60 parking ticket in the mail from my university parking police after only parking my car for 45 minutes to attend a required class performance which I had to pay to get into. A reasonable ticket is $10 to $15, the most I have ever been charged is $25. This ticket made both myself and my parents gasp and question what I had actually done to warrant such a penalty. 

Frustrated is an understatement. The inability to park my car on campus has been never-ending fuel to my CU anger fire. I love going to school here. Our campus is beautiful, our professors are engaged and caring, our life is colored with gorgeous mountain views and a downtown area within walking distance of campus. Life should be so good, except for the fact that I have nowhere to park my car. 

According to Adria Watson, a writer for Cal Matters,  “any revenue generated from parking fees is used to pay for related expenses, such as construction costs, maintenance and operations.” In theory, our $2.50 an hour goes toward the maintenance of these lots and the creation of new parking spaces on campus. The purchase of a parking pass allows students access to more lots closer to central campus. Such a pass costs $60 per month, or $300 per semester. In my experience, hourly parking ends up being about $20 per day for the amount of time I spend on campus. One would think that the pass would be worth it, but your assigned spot is often further away from your destination than your off-campus house. 

In the wake of the pandemic, many students have moved out of Boulder to live in the cheaper housing of surrounding towns. These students must pay to have on-campus parking as a result of their more lengthy commute. While these extra costs seem minimal, the price of gas combined with the parking pass adds up as students count their pennies for spending money in college. Even after all of these additional purposes, there is still no promise that you won’t be ticketed for parking in a closer lot, running out of time on your meter, or misreading a sign. The land of CU parking is a harsh and unforgiving one. 

To bring a car to CU campus is somewhat of a money pit, and CU is well aware of this. The city of Boulder is also a bloodbath for the perfect parking spot, and even when you find it you are constantly paying an hourly price. If you choose to bring a car to campus keep in mind the financial burden that you and your family are taking on. Even if you have the best intentions in your parking on campus, please be aware of all of the potential consequences. 

As for me, I’ll be adding $60 to my tuition bill this semester! 

Alia Davis

CU Boulder '23

Alia is the Director of Outreach and a contributing writer at Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a fourth year student majoring in International Affairs and Anthropology. When she isn't writing articles, she can typically be spotted on a run, watching sad films, or re-reading Dune.