A Gift Guide for EVERYONE You Need to Shop For This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It’s always better to give than to receive, but sometimes giving can be tricky. Whether you’re looking for stocking stuffers or the perfect item to wrap up and stick under a tree, everyone wants to find the perfect gift for the special people in their life, and that can be easier said than done. That’s why I’ve created a cheat sheet to help you spread some joy to the people you love this holiday season! This cheat sheet covers artists, writers, cooks, coffee lovers, Potterheads, and Disney fans. No matter who you’re shopping for or what your budget is, there’s bound to be some inspiration for you on this list!

Gifts for Artists
  • Prismacolors: Forget RoseArt and Crayola. Prismacolor makes high quality colored pencils with vivid colors. A pack of these bad boys are a great gift for any artist in that medium.
  • Scratchboard: Even if they haven’t used a scratchboard before, this is a fun gift to play around with. Plus it’ll be fun for you to see what your artist comes up with!
  • Artbooks: If you know this person has a favorite artist, movie, TV show, or style, then an artbook could be just the thing for them.
  • Temporary tattoo kits: The ink from these tattoo kits lasts for up to two weeks before disappearing. It’s great for anyone who has ever wanted a tattoo, but is afraid of the commitment. They come in pre-made designs, as well as free-hand ink pens.
  • Wrist brace: Wrist braces made specially for artists can support their hands without interfering with their art. It’s a thoughtful gift that any artist is sure to appreciate.
  • Artist glove: These special gloves cover an artist’s pinky and ring finger to help prevent smearing while they work.

What about gift cards? When it comes to the artsy types, you can never go wrong with a Michaels gift card. Another fun option is a gift card for a pottery painting studio, which would be a fun activity to do together!

Image courtesy of Taylynn Christopher on Unsplash
Gifts for writers
  • Leather journals: Pretty much every writer has a collection of cool-looking journals, and it’s never quite big enough. Bonus points if it closes with a leather strip.
  • Hot drinks: Nothing helps someone focus like a nice, hot beverage. Be it hot chocolate, coffee, or tea, any of these drinks would give a writer something warm to sip on while they work.
  • Books: Most people who love to write also love to read! It’s extra fun if you give a copy of your favorite book so that you can both talk about it after they finish reading it.
  • Fountain pens: These are an aesthetic. Whether it’s a collector’s item or an everyday pen, there’s something very sophisticated about using a fountain pen.
  • Subscriptions for writing services: Subscriptions to services such as Scrivener, Reedsy, and Ulysses can be extremely helpful for writers. Paying for a few months of subscription is definitely something that most writers would appreciate. 
  • Candles: It’s always nice to be able to sit down and work in a relaxing environment. It’s even better if that environment smells like lavender, or sugar cookies, or clean linen.
  • Earbuds/headphones: Part of having a relaxing environment is having the right music. A quality pair of earbuds or headphones is sure to help the writer in your life focus.
  • Music subscription services: For similar reasons, you can’t go wrong with a subscription to Spotify or YouTube Premium!

What about gift cards? There are all kinds of options when it comes to getting a gift card for your writer friends. Starbucks gift cards will help them to sit down with a hot drink and a quiet space to work. Of course, most writers are going to love gift cards to bookstores like Barnes and Noble or Tattered Cover as well!

Image courtesy of NeONBRAND on Unsplash
gifts for cooks
  • Oven mitts and aprons: There are all kinds of fun oven mitts and aprons. It’s a practical gift that’s sure to get a lot of use.
  • Cookbooks: This is a bit of a given, but cooks tend to like, well, cooking. New recipes are sure to be an exciting gift!
  • Fancy salts and seasonings: Pink Peruvian, Black Lava, Chili Lime… There are all kinds of interesting salts and seasonings for a chef to have a field day with.
  • Bluetooth speakers: Because cooking is more fun with music on in the background.
  • Herb and spice growing kits: There’s farm fresh and then there’s garden fresh. There’s nothing quite like growing your own herbs and spices to elevate your food.
  • Foreign candies: These are always a cool stocking stuffer. It’s fun to experience a taste of other parts of the world.

What about gift cards? The obvious choice here is to get a gift card for your friend’s favorite restaurant, which is never a bad idea. You could also buy a gift card for places that sell cookware and ingredients, like Williams Sonoma or Sur la Table. Anyone with an interest in cooking is going to appreciate some new cookware!

Image courtesy of Pratiksha Mohanty on Unsplash
gifts for coffee lovers
  • Coffee subscriptions: Subscriptions to groups like Atlas Coffee Club are a great way to broaden a person’s coffee horizons. It’s educational too. They tell you all about the flavor profiles of the beans and which part of the world they come from.
  • Nespresso or Keurig pods: If you know that the coffee lover in your life has a Nespresso or Keurig machine, then an easy gift is to buy them a few different flavors.
  • Mugs: There is an endless variety of mugs on the market, and there’s no such thing as having too many.
  • Coffee creamer: This is another easy one to pick up. Coffee creamer comes in all sorts of tasty flavors. This one works well for hot chocolate lovers as well!
  • Mug warmers: Nothing is worse than a cold cup of coffee. Luckily, they make something for that! A mug warmer will keep any beverage nice and toasty.
  • Baked goods: What pairs well with a good cup of coffee? Cookies, flavored breads, muffins, scones… The list is endless, and totally delicious.

What about gift cards? Of course, you can’t go wrong with a gift card to your friend’s favorite coffee shop. If you aren’t sure where that might be, then Starbucks or Dunkin is always a pretty safe bet.

Image courtesy of Brigitte Tohm on Unsplash
Gifts for Harry Potter fans
  • Wands: Any Potterhead is going to go nuts over getting a collectible wand. If you know which kind of wand they got from their Pottermore quiz, then that’s even better!
  • Spellbooks: A spellbook pairs perfectly with a wand. They’re loads of fun for any age, and they come with trivia.
  • House scarves: If they don’t already have one, then an iconic house scarf is a great gift for any Harry Potter fan– provided you know which house they’re in!
  • Illustrated books: There’s nothing better than a book with pictures. The art in these books really makes the story come to life.
  • Ink and quill sets: This one is a blast to play around with. Writing with a quill immediately sends you to Hogwarts, ready to send your letters off with an owl.
  • Wax seals: This pairs well with an ink and quill if you really want to go the extra mile. Sealing a letter with wax is probably the classiest thing you can do.
  • Legos: There are tons of Harry Potter Lego sets for every price range. The options are practically endless.
  • Harry Potter candies: From “Every Flavour Beans” to “Chocolate Frogs,” there are a bunch of candies straight out of the books. They’re pretty tasty too! That is, until you end up eating an earwax flavored jelly bean.
  • Music boxes: The score for the Harry Potter films is magical. With a music box, your giftee can listen to songs from the movies anywhere, any time.

What about gift cards? There are tons of fun and wonderfully crafted Harry Potter themed products available on Etsy. Getting your Potterhead friend an Etsy gift card would open up all kinds of exciting shopping for them to enjoy.

Image courtesy of Dollar Gill on Unsplash
Gifts for Disney fans
  • Custom totes, shirts, or ornaments: There is a never-ending supply of Disney merch, and lots of it can be customized! There’s something extra special about receiving a gift that literally has your name written all over it.
  • Disney trivia or board games: This is a great gift because it’s the perfect excuse to spend time with whoever you’re buying for. Who doesn’t love game night?
  • Plushies: No one is ever too old for a stuffed animal, and Disney makes some of the cutest ones.
  • Disney Plus subscriptions: Odds are that any Disney fan is already going to have a Disney Plus subscription, but if they don’t then a few months of free Disney content is the perfect gift for them.
  • Disney-themed cookbooks: There are tons of fun Disney themed recipe books out there. It’s cute, and it’s tasty.
  • Onesies: From Stitch, to Tigger, to Sully, there’s a onesie for everyone’s favorite Disney character. Besides, everyone needs more onesies.
  • Movie night kits: Put together some popcorn packets, candy, soda, and a cozy blanket, and you’ve got a gift that’s fun and inexpensive. It’s extra personal too, since you put it together yourself.

What about gift cards? You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Disney store gift card for anyone who has a love of Disney. Or, you could go for a movie theater gift card so that your friend can go see all the new Disney films on the big screen!

Image courtesy of Alyssa Eakin on Unsplash

So there you have it! Hopefully this gift guide will help you find the perfect present for the people you’re spending the holidays with this year. But no matter what you end up doing, just remember that it’s always the thought that counts!

Kaylie Stenberg

CU Boulder '23

I write, I read, and I explore internet rabbit holes.