Foolproof Holiday Gifts for Every Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

If you listen to Emma Chamberlain’s “Anything Goes” podcast, you might know where this is going. In her, “Holiday Shopping” episode, she talks about foolproof gifts and it inspired me to write my own personal twist on it. I will be considering all budgets, and sharing with you my own gift recommendations for every type of person in your life (although you can totally check out Emma’s episode and consider her genius recs). 

As we all know, gifts can be daunting. There is something incredibly nerve-wracking about finding a gift for the special people in your life and wanting to please them. However, it doesn’t have to be all that difficult. I will try my best in attempting to ease your holiday shopping anxiety by providing you with a few ideas.

Unisex gifts ($10+)

Unisex gifts are great for white elephant gift exchanges, or when you want to buy something practical for someone. For this category, I would highly recommend classic gifts like sandalwood scented candles, mugs, or cozy weighted blankets. The candle’s scent is totally optional, but I find that sandalwood is a typical crowd-pleaser. The smell is relatively neutral and not too overbearing, which is a major plus. Coffee mugs are fun to give because there are an infinite amount of options to choose from. A safe bet is to get something with their first name’s initial on it, or choose one that has a character or concept from their favorite series like Harry Potter or Friends. As for the weighted blanket option, the only thing I have to say is: who doesn’t love a warm weighted blanket in the winter?

For the workaholic friend ($15+)

Now we’ll delve into more specific gifts. There are generally two main gift options for the hardworking people in your life: you can get them something that would support their career endeavors, or something that will gently remind them that they deserve small breaks once in a while. For the former, a project planner or journal would be ideal. Journals and planners are generally cost-friendly gifts, but if you would like to go above and beyond, a leather, or faux leather, notebook is always a great option as well. On the other hand, you can get them gifts that will remind them to have self-care days like cute incense gift sets from Etsy or sheet mask sets with other self-care items of your choice!

For the men in your life ($20+)

Many people find it hard to get something for men during holidays, but I think that being practical will always work in your favor. There is nothing wrong with getting them a monogrammed leather wallet, merchandise from their favorite sports team, or a quarter-zip sweater. Other cheaper (but still awesome) gift ideas are items like a beanie, coffee tumbler, or a simple duffle bag.

For the fancy ladies ($20+)

Almost every woman out there is appreciative of bath bombs. That said, you can purchase a cute and inexpensive set at Target. You may even pair the bath bomb set with fuzzy slippers or a bathrobe that will really tie the whole thing together. For more high-end options, a cashmere scarf, or a silk pillowcase and sleep mask set will make the women in your life feel extra special and pampered. You can never have too many scarves. 

Lastly, I think it is imperative to mention that you do not have to break the bank to show your love during the holidays, so I would also encourage you to consider baked goods as gifts! I firmly believe that it is impossible for someone to be bummed out over being gifted a delicious box of homemade brownies. Scrolling through Pinterest will help you decorate your brownie box (or other baked goods) nicely. Nonetheless, my main and probably most important advice is to have fun when holiday shopping! Trust your gut, and you will eventually find the perfect gifts with ease.

Frida is a senior at University of Texas at San Antonio. She is pursuing a B.A in English and Politics & Law. She enjoys watching films, discovering new music, and spending time with her loved ones.