absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Margarita Recipes to Celebrate National Margarita Day All Weekend!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Yesterday was a day that’s very near and dear to my heart, it’s… National Margarita Day! To best celebrate and honor this National Holiday, treat yourself to a refreshing Margarita. To assist in your celebrations, I have provided below 8 of the best scratch Margarita recipes (all recipes serve yield two servings because what’s better than one margarita? Two! So grab a friend (or don’t, we won’t judge) and enjoy!

1. Classic Margarita

Served On the Rocks

Ingredients:

• 3 ounces silver tequila (a reasonably priced and quality choice would be Jose Cuervo)

• 2 ounces orange or citrus liqueur, such as Cointreau (note: the recipe suggests Cointreau, but that’s not usually something I have stocked, so a good substitute for this would be Triple Sec)

• 1 ounce fresh lime juice (approximately 1 small lime)

• Splash simple syrup (if you want to make yours at home here’s a great recipe)

• Optional: coarse salt to coat rim and mint leaves to garnish!

Directions:

Special equipment: Tools: shaker citrus squeezer salted rocks glass strainer.

Combine the tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice and simple syrup in an ice-filled cocktail shaker. Shake until cold, and strain into a chilled, salt-rimmed rocks glass. Garnish with mint, and serve.

Source//Cooking Channel

2. Mango Margarita

Served Frozen

Ingredients:

• 5 ounces frozen mango

• ⅓ cup silver tequila

• 1 tablespoon orange liqueur (again, Cointreau, Triple Sec, etc.)

• 1 tablespoon superfine sugar

• 1 cup ice water

Directions:

Put the frozen mango, tequila, lime juice, orange liqueur, sugar, and water in a blender and blend until smooth.

Source//Cooking Channel

3. Chipotle Grapefruit Margarita

Served On the Rocks

Ingredients:

Chipotle Salt:

• 2 tablespoon kosher salt

• 2 teaspoon chipotle power

Margarita:

• 4 ounces fresh grapefruit juice

• 4 ounces silver tequila

• 2 ounces oranges liquer

• 1 large pinch chipotle powder

• 4 grapefruit wedges

Directions:

For the chipotle salt: Mix together the salt and chipotle powder on a plate.

For the margarita: Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the grapefruit juice, tequila, orange liqueur and chipotle powder. Cover and shake until mixed and chilled, about 30 seconds. (In general, the drink is ready by the time the shaker mists up.)

Moisten the rim of a chilled rocks glass with one of the grapefruit wedges and press the rim into the chipotle salt. Strain the margarita into the prepared glass and garnish with the remaining grapefruit wedge.

Source//Cooking Channel

4. Raspberry Margarita

Can Be Served Frozen or On the Rocks

Ingredients:

• 3 ounces tequila

• 2 ounces triple sec

• 2 ounces lime juice

• 1 cup fresh raspberries

• Fresh raspberries for garnish

Directions:

Muddle raspberries and combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker, shake well, and enjoy! (Tip: Use frozen raspberries and add 2 cups ice to turn this drink into a Frozen Margarita).

Source//Spruce Eats

5. Lavender Margarita

Served On the Rocks

Ingredients:

• 4 ounces silver tequila

• 1 ounce orange liqueur

• 2 ounces lavender simple syrup  (recipe)

• Juice of 1 lime

• Sugar and dried lavender to garnish

Directions:

Special equipment: shaker strainer rocks glass citrus squeezer plate.

In a shaker, combine 4 oz. silver tequila, 1 oz. Cointreau, 12 oz. simple syrup and the juice of one lime and let sit.

On a plate, mix the sugar and dried lavender and use it to rim the outside of a rocks glass.

Fill the glass with ice. Shake and strain the contents of the strainer into the glass.

Source//Cooking Channel

6. Catalina Margarita

Served On the Rocks

Ingredients:

• 3 ounces silver tequila

• 2 ounces peach schnapps

• 2 ounces blue curacao

• 1 ounce sour mix (homemade recipe)

Directions:

Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker, shake well, and enjoy!

Source//Spruce Eats

7. Mint Julep Margarita

Served On the Rocks

Ingredients:

• 4 limes

• 1 ½ tablespoons superfine sugar

• 15 fresh mint leaves

• 4 ounces bourbon

• 2 ounces orange liqueur

• ½ cup seltzer

Directions:

Place the limes in a cocktail shaker. Sprinkle with the sugar and add the mint leaves. Muddle well, making sure the juice is really extracted from the limes and the sugar dissolves. Add the bourbon and orange liqueur. Add a couple of ice cubes, cover and shake well. Strain. Can be served over ice or straight. Top with seltzer. Garnish with a lime wedge.

Source//Pure Wow

8. Pomegranate Margarita

Served Frozen

Ingredients:

• ¼ cup pomegranate juice (store bought is fine, plus seeds to garnish)

• ⅓ cup tequila (about 4 ounces)

• ⅛ cup triple sec (about 1 ounce)

• 1 ½ – 2 cups ice

• Margarita salt, optional

Directions:

Combine all ingredients, except salt, in a blender and pulse until frothy and well combined. Rim glasses with lime juice using a lime wedge then dip in margarita salt, drop some fresh pomegranate seeds in the bottom of the glass and pour margarita mix over the top.

Source//Cooking Channel

Megan Grote

CU Boulder '21

Megan is currently a senior at CU Boulder, graduating December 2020, pursuing a double major in Communication and Chinese, and minoring in Information Science. Originally from Virginia, Megan grew up overseas in Qatar and loves learning about people and their experiences with the world. Her passions include all things ocean and space related, animals, and introducing others to the curative powers of funky socks.
Sko Buffs!