Career

6 Reasons Why You Should Love Mindy Kaling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

After reading these six reasons, I can’t see why you wouldn’t love Mindy Kaling. She is a timeless classic and as girl boss as ever!

Mindy is fully herself

She’s written two personal memoirs that talk about her childhood through adulthood. She fully embraces her awkward childhood with pictures and all. We all need a role model like this. Somebody’s got to embrace those brace-face, short hair-cut years. Why not us?

Mindy is the epitome of #GirlBoss.

While “The Office” was still airing on TV, Kaling wrote a pilot for the show “The Mindy Project”. FOX aired the show originally for three seasons, then dropped the show in 2015. Within a weekend, Hulu picked up “The Mindy Project” and agreed to air three more seasons. Kaling created, starred, and worked as an executive producer for her self titled show. 

Mindy wrote some of the most famous episodes of “The Office”.

Mindy worked as a writer and executive producer for the show “The Office” and wrote some of the series’ most popular episodes. 21 episodes in her sitcom repertoire, her most famous episode being “Niagara”. This is the episode where Jim and Pam get married in Niagara Falls with the office gang. Some of her other episodes are “Ben Franklin”, “Golden Ticket”, and “Night Out”.

Mindy co-wrote a play about Matt Damon and Ben Affleck with her best friend, Brenda Withers.

The bestie duo co-wrote a play while living together in NYC after college in the early 2000’s. The play was a comedy conveniently called Matt & Ben. It was about Matt Damon and Ben Affleck’s friendship. It takes a funny route on what life for the duo could’ve been about during the creation of the script for the movie they both starred in, “Good Will Hunting”. Mindy and Brenda co-wrote, acted, and starred in their debut play. The play was even shown at a Colorado film festival in Aspen.

Mindy is a little bit of Elle Woods and a little bit of Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

She went to Dartmouth for her undergraduate years, but wrote and read a commencement speech at Harvard Law school in 2014, and boy is it worth watching! 

Mindy is handling motherhood in the coolest, most progressive way possible.

She is a mother to a two-year-old daughter named Katherine. Although Mindy is very active on social media, she has managed to maintain her daughter’s privacy by not showing her face. “The Mindy Project” star still posts pictures with her daughter, just normally with Katherine facing away from the camera. A child’s privacy while growing up with fame in the family is highly important to their growth and evolution process. Kaling’s protective yet empathetic mothering nature embodies this.

After reading those six reasons, I can’t see why you wouldn’t love Mindy Kaling! Her two memoirs are truly authentic testimonials and will make you smile, connect, and definitely laugh. The memoirs “Is Everybody Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)” and “Why Not Me” are a few years old, yet remain timeless classics into the girl boss and super mom’s life.

Jess MacAulay

CU Boulder '22

Jess MacAulay is a senior broadcast journalism major here at CU Boulder. She loves 30 Rock and The Mindy Project and thinks more people need to watch these shows because they're the best TV shows of all time. When she’s not writing for Her Campus she can be found hanging out with friends, standing in the sun, or mourning the closing of Cheba Hut on the Hill.