This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I didn’t know the importance of moisturizers and lotions until I moved to Colorado. It doesn’t matter whether your skin type is oily, normal, dry, or a combination because you’ll need them. Moisturizers are like growing up with a twin – you can’t avoid them and they’re automatically your best friend. However, go through any drugstore aisle, and you will probably have at least 30 choices and not all of them are made equal. Thankfully I went through enough pain and suffering to figure out what works for me – and you should try them out too!

Up&Up Extra Radiance Cocoa Butter Body Lotion

This is Target’s generic brand of Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Radiant but it works amazingly well! The cocoa butter really softens your skin. This is what I use daily to avoid dry skin and I’d recommend it to people with normal to dry skin types.

Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion for Body and Face

Yes, I know that most products that try to double as something else are the worst. I grew up using a two-in-one shampoo and conditioner and I cringe each time I see a childhood photo. However, this lotion definitely works on both your body and face! It’s rich enough to moisturize your body when it’s only a bit dry but it’s also a lifesaver when your face is super dehydrated.

Queen Helene’s Cocoa Butter Hand + Body Lotion

Queen Helene’s is a staple brand that can be found in most black hair salons, but they also make amazing body lotion. This also has cocoa butter but it’s so much richer than the other body lotions on the market so I definitely recommend it for those days when your skin is super dry.

Clean&Clear Dual Action Moisturizer 

Hyram’s going to kill me for putting this list because fragrances are supposed to be awful for sensitive skin, but as someone with oily, acne-prone skin, this has been a holy grail. Salicylic acid is a chemical exfoliant that does wonders for breakouts and the product is only five dollars. 

Soap And Glory Heel Genius Foot Cream

Heels can get really dry during the winter months but this product will undo that in a single night. It also smells like green tea. 10/10 would recommend.

Hopefully, these moisturizers save your skin during the cold months! They saved mine, that’s for sure.

Maya Douglas

CU Boulder '22

Maya is a senior at CU Boulder studying computer science and philosophy. In her free time, you'll find her listening to music on campus or going out with her friends.
Sko Buffs!