diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

We’ve All Been There: 5 Bad Habits You Form in College & My Best Advice for Each

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CSU chapter.

1. Taking in An Extreme Amount of Caffeine

Okay… guilty as charged. Coffee is my biggest weaknesses and my best friend during the school year. It doesn’t help that there are so many coffee shops on campus, I’m not complaining though.

With that being said, you’re not taking the best of care for yourself by consuming endless amounts of caffeine. Were all nervous and anxious enough from college being college, but when you add caffeine into the picture, it’s much worse. Caffeine can cause restlessness, anxiety, fast heartbeats, and even insomnia.

I know it’s hard to give up coffee, trust me. You can try to limit the amount you’re taking in though. Slowly decrease the amount of caffeine you are consuming and you’ll start to notice some of the changes your body makes.  

2. Not Attending Lectures

You’re in college, your mom isn’t telling you to go to class anymore. Sometimes people find that freedom as the perfect opportunity to not have to attend class, and won’t be yelled at for it.

With that being said, you have to be responsible enough to recognize going to class is in your best interest. You have to want that degree bad enough because your mom can’t earn it for you.

Set goals for yourself at the beginning of each semester that’ll push you to attend lectures. Push yourself to your fullest potential. I promise your professors want nothing but the best for you. They will always be willing to help you if you prove you respect them by showing up to their classes. Even in the classes with 200 plus students, the professors can always tell which students show up to their lectures.

3. Not Caring about Your Health

From snacking all day to consuming alcohol every off chance you get. It will take a toll on your health and will show in your school work and effort. It’s not worth it.

As much as you’re responsible for your school work, you’re just as responsible for your health. It is so easy to get what everyone fears, “the freshman 15.” Living in the dorms, you could eat Skittles every night for dinner if that’s what you want. It’s important to research how much protein, vegetables, carbs, etc. you should be consuming with your age before you enter the dorms. Also, exercise will be your friend during college. Exercise reduces stress, and gives you more energy (I know, hard to believe.)

Again, set workout goals for every week. Start them small and increase them by little amounts every week. You want workouts to be something you look forward to. Find something that pushes you to keep going to the gym. I had friends go with me for the first couple weeks until I felt completely comfortable at the rec. center by myself. Eventually, you will form a habit (A GOOD ONE.)

4. Over Using “Yes” with Your Friends

This is probably the hardest habit to break on this list when you’re living in the dorms. You are literally living with all your best friends.

With that being said, school has to be your biggest priority. It’s important to take time away from your friends to study and concentrate on your work. You can’t always say “yes” to plans with friends when you have homework or studying to focus on. Your friends should be able to understand that, and hopefully are mature enough to see you’re doing what’s best for your future.

Remind yourself of your priorities throughout the week. Don’t be afraid to tell your friends you have studying to do. Be honest with your friends, and you might even show them what’s important by doing so.  

5. This Isn’t High School: You Have to Study Here

You may have been able to show up to exams in high school without studying and do fairly well (same, been there.) I’m here to tell you, college is very different with this certain topic. Exams are freaking hard.

You will have to study (ugh, I know.) I was lucky enough to have professors who taught me the best ways to study for their classes. I hope you’re that lucky too, but if not, put it in your own hands. Once again, you are responsible for how well you do here in college. If you have to Google studying strategies, DO IT.

There are so many different ways to study and this is the perfect time to try them out. Finding the best ways to study for you will help you succeed way more than you probably think. You can also talk to your professors and ask them for advice on studying. I can almost bet any professor at CSU would be more than willing to have that discussion with you. Don’t be afraid of asking either, remember this is doing what’s best for you to overall succeed.

Well hello there, my name is Kaitlyn. I am a sophomore at Colorado State University, studying social work. I probably spend a good 70% of my life at Starbucks or other local coffee shops. I also probably spend way too much time posting on Instagram. If you'd like to see my work there so far, follow me @kaitlynkusmik
Hi, my name is Karony (Care-uh-knee)! I am a second year HDFS student at Colorado State University and I love being involved on campus. You'll probably find me working VS PINK events on campus or fundraising for Camp Kesem. Check me out on Instagram: @AmatoDaVoi