Kristen Bryant-Girl Lounging Relax Logo 2
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness

How to Stay Healthy During the Coronavirus Pandemic When You’re Asthmatic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CSU East Bay chapter.

The novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, has been spreading rapidly throughout the entire globe. Older people and those with pre-existing medical conditions are more susceptible to contracting the virus. However, anyone could contract this virus and not show any symptoms. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, those with asthma may be at a higher risk for contracting the virus. The best way to prevent getting infected with the virus is to avoid being exposed and follow the following basic guidelines. 

Medications

Right now is the best time to stock up on prescription medications from your doctor. This includes inhalers, tablets, pills, and nose-sprays. Hospitals are filling up as the virus spreads, so it is important to get a refill on all prescriptions you may have as soon as possible. Check to see if inhaler(s) are running low; on the very top or bottom of the inhaler (depending on the brand), a number will indicate how many “puffs” are available to use. Be sure to order as soon as the number is running low and estimate the time the medication will come in the mail. Overall, know how to use your inhaler and remember to take asthma medications as directed.  

Exercise

People are currently being ordered to stay in their homes and practice “social-distancing” in order to subside the rising numbers of infected people. The stay-at-home order is expected to last for about three weeks, or even longer. Since people are required to stay at home, it is important to establish a workout routine to stay active. Before working out, remember to use a prescribed inhaler to reduce the chances of an asthma attack. Exercising at home will help keep your lungs active and healthy. 

Stay home!

It is essential to take the stay-at-home order seriously, especially if you have pre-existing medical conditions and respiratory issues. Remember to stay away from people who are sick and constantly wash your hands with soap and water. Avoid crowded areas and non-essential travel. Clean and disinfect surfaces often such as phones, keyboards, countertops, sinks, and door handles. Also, try to take this time to de-stress and relax at home; remember that stress and anxiety can trigger an asthma attack. Put on a movie or your favorite TV show and try to enjoy your next couple of weeks off. 

Ashanti Knox

CSU East Bay '21

Ashanti Knox is a graduate from California State University, East Bay with a B.A. in Communication and Media Studies. She was born and raised in Sacramento, California. She has experience managing social media accounts, creating online content, and volunteering at animal shelters and enjoys caring for animals (especially dogs). She does her best writing in tranquil coffee shops, the university library, and in her cozy, quiet dorm room. Ashanti loves to spend hours watching hair tutorial videos, playing UNO on the beach, and taking the longer way home so she can listen to her favorite songs.
Destiny Raybon

CSU East Bay '20

Hello, i'm Destiny and I am a communication and media major looking forward to an incredible first year with HC!