This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CSU East Bay chapter.

School is stressful enough as it is, let alone with how easy it is to get distracted by the various apps you have on your phone. Whether it’s Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, or Reddit that consumes your time, most of us can admit that we spend a little too much time aimlessly scrolling through our feeds. Well, what if I told you that there are apps out there that may actually help you become a more efficient and productive student? Need homework help? A digital planner? A place for notetaking? We got you covered with these three FREE apps that every college student needs:

1. Evernote

Evernote is a productivity app that you can use as a planner and as a way to organize any lists or notes you have. This app makes it easy to format your notes and lists in any way you want while also allowing you to add any images, sketches, and audio you may want to include. I personally use this app mainly to create lists for myself, whether that be a step by step list or a list planning out my next day. Evernote makes it extremely easy to share lists and notes with other people, which has come in handy many times for me. Overall, this is a very useful app to have, especially for a busy college student!

1. Otter

Otter is an app that allows you to record a meeting or a lecture while it takes notes/transcribes what is said. Not only that you are able to edit and highlight the notes afterward as you please. Besides being super easy to use, I for one find this app very handy specifically when I have any type of meeting or when I have to interview someone for any reason.

1. Slader

Slader is an app that is kind of known as an app to help you cheat on your math homework but hear me out. With a little discipline, I totally believe that Slader could be and should be used as a homework help tool rather than a quick and easy solution to your homework. Although it is known for math, Slader provides you with the textbook solutions to subjects ranging from physics to psychology to computer science. I recommend using Slader as a way to check the answers that you come up with, with the ones provided on the app. This way, you can actually retain the information instead of mindlessly copying down the answer without putting any thought into it.

Although apps may contribute to student procrastination, it is possible to use certain apps on your phone, tablet, or laptop to your advantage. With the three apps that I recommended, I whole-heartedly believe you can kick the villains named “procrastination” and “unproductivity” in the butt!

Currently a student at California State University, East Bay and majoring in Communications with a concentration in Media Studies. My hobbies include styling myself and others, watching movies and writing reviews about them, and being a picky eater.