This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

The beauty craze of the 10-Step KBeauty Routine has reached its peak- and now it is a good way for girls and women to find out how their skin REALLY functions. I have tried it using self-services: ELF, SokoGlam, and even making my own. The main steps that stuck with me — despite the fact that I run out of the house every morning like a Girl Scout ready to sell cookies with her troop — are to double cleanse, and use toner, serum, and moisturizer. If you haven’t read an introduction of double cleansing, I highly suggest glancing over it before reading on. The powers of a serum will certainly capitalize on this.

What is a serum?

A serum is a liquid form of hydrators that gives the skin a medium to reproduce its natural oils. It’s also packed with a large host of skin-loving ingredients like green tea, lavender, and citrus that gives the skin a natural highlight. After toning, your face will be dry and not ready to leave the house where Ithaca’s weather will turn it into your worst nightmare no matter what skin tone. Your face also won’t be protected from the sun after you have put on a moisturizer without a serum! That is a definite no-no.

Well, sign me up! Where can get one of these “fancy serums”?

Serums are quite easy to find. They can be pricey, but are worth it due to all of the skin benefits. When I got one, I was placed right back to the source of the craze: KBeauty. I was gifted a bottle of Innisfree Intensive Hydrating Serum with Green Tea Seed with our Her Campus Spring Survival Kit. Title sounds intense? It isn’t, but the application and the benefits most certainly are. And the price: Affordable for all!

Innisfree is a Korean Beauty company that truly embraces the power of their environment. Set near Jeju Island, their mission is to provide natural skin care from the natural beauty they have on the island. Their fields are also considered USDA-Organic approved, which means that they are free of mineral oils, parabens, and synthetic colors, which always clog our pores instead of provide the moisture we need to be our best.

How does it work?

Serums, including the Innisfree, are applied morning and night to retain the moisture of your skin. Yes, your skin dries out a night when you are tossing and turning or even stationary. Air doesn’t circulate to the face properly, which is why you wake up with “cold” or mucus in your eye. It also means that your face feels the Sahara Desert. Applying the serum at night allows you to wake up with a soft face that’s ready to take on the day.

I have been trying the Innisfree serum for about 3 weeks, and I do see a major difference in my skin quality overall. I double cleanse every other day and I exfoliate on the off days. Double cleansing and exfoliating allows the skin to be ready and open to take in the serum. On top of this, when you exfoliate, the skin is at its most vulnerable so it’s important to put the serum on right after cleansing. (Pat, Pat, Don’t Rub!)

For the first couple of days, I made sure to go by the bottle instruction of 2-3 pumps to go over the face before allowing it to dry and then applying moisturizer. At first, my skin was like “Woah, new friends, who’s this?” My skin was trying to figure how to react to this moisture intensive serum. However, after a few days, my skin was taking it in like a glass of water!

Once a week passed, my skin started to blur the rosacea I usually encounter in the winter time. I am a Chocolate girl, and the winter makes me go a shade lighter, so my imperfections are on full display. Each time the serum came over my face, it was smooth and I could go about getting dressed or doing my hair while it dried. The key is allowing the serum to dry before adding the moisturizer.  It does not take long to dry — about 10 seconds — but your skin will thank you. This serum has changed my perception of treating my skin like a queen and, honestly, I’m glad it exists. Your skin won’t cry dry tears asking for moisture anymore!

Who is this good for?

I would highly recommend this serum for all skin types, even oily and acne-prone skin. I have acne-prone, combination skin and this serum has given me moisture without the greasy film. I do put on makeup sometimes, but I have taken my hand off of the concealer and just left it after putting on my moisturizer for the first couple days. The sun hits my face now and that inner highlight from the serum is right there, present and serving looks. Innisfree has freed my skin to show up and show out, and I’m sure you can achieve this too. I hope you try it out, queens!

The Innisfree Intensive Hydrating Serum with Green Tea Seed is available on Amazon and on US.Innisfree.com.

Other Products I Double Cleanse with:

Oil Cleanse: NeoGen REal Fresh Green Tea Stick

Water Cleanse: NeoGen Green Tea Fresh Foam

Exfoliant: Clean & Clear Oil-Free Deep Action Exfoliating Facial Scrub (oil-free, so no microbeads!)

I am a senior English major in the College of Arts and Sciences, and I love reading new books. I love finding new places to drink coffee and eat Koren fried chicken wings (yep, they're real). I got into makeup when I was sixteen, and I never looked back. I can't wait to write more for HerCampus, and I hope I get to explore more with my life experiences and empower more queens!
Asian Studies major who enjoys horseback riding, crochet, singing, and musical theater. Passionate about public service and addressing economic inequality and women's, LGBTQ+ and minority rights.