She’s the First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

As much as we students complain about the stress of college life, and piles of work to do for every class, we are truly lucky to be getting a quality education. This is something that can easily be taken for granted as we go about our daily routines. When was the last time you stopped to think about what getting an education really means? The girls of Her Campus Conn Coll have taken this week to consider how lucky we are to be getting an education, and invite everyone to reflect with us, and engage with our fundraiser for She’s the First. 

The mission of She’s the First is to work with partners to give girls, across ten underdeveloped countries, a quality education. The goal is to turn girls into leaders and scholars who will become agents of change in breaking cycles of generational poverty. She’s the First focuses on providing girls with an education, because statistically, they’ve faced greater disadvantages than boys. According to research on the She’s the First website, “research consistently shows that educating girls and enabling their participation in the workforce substantially increases a country’s GDP, or economic output.” Sponsoring a girl’s education gives her the chance to break the cycle of poverty. Join the campaign to improve lives by stopping by the She’s the First bake sale on October 23rd! To learn more about the cause visit shesthefirst.org

Susannah is a senior at Conn Coll finishing up her Psychology and English double major with her Religious Studies minor. Susannah loves finding new music on Spotify, watching romantic comedies, and practicing yoga. Fresh out of the oven cookies are her greatest weakness rivaled only by her love of online shopping.